Jennifer Vincent

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Marc Decho, Jan 9, 2006.

1. any of you cats heard of her before, she's muy solid, heard her on a couple of cuts over the weekend with Willie Martinez, she's studied with Andy Gonzales, Cachaito, Ron Carter, etc....and been sidewoman with a large number of heavyweights, good strong sense of clave and can rip it up on jazz.
  2. D.W.

D.W. Guest

I know a guy that used to go out with her when she was living in Montreal, before she moved to NYC. Great bass player.
  3. no kidding huh ? is she a Quebecer too ? yeah she's fantastic, i'd like to know how she got a hold of Cachaito for studies, after much digging i've contacted his manager to see if he still accepts students
  4. Rodriguez

Nov 6, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification & LaBella Strings
    Hey Marc & D.W., what's going on? Jennifer, I think is from Portland, Oregon. I know she's been to Cuba and possibly studied w/ Cachaito while there. I'll ask her next time I see her, we're in the same neighborhood. I used to listen to Cachaito w/ pianist Peruchin and flutist Jose Fajardo (recordings from the 50's) when I was a youngster. Great tone and always in the pocket.

5. D.W.

D.W. Guest

I could be totally off base here, but my assumption was that she went to Mcgill Univeristy in Montreal. I'll talk to my friend, perhaps they hooked up in NYC.

6. Hey RR, how's it goin' my good man ? chances are she probably went to study w/Cachaito in Cuba, he was teacher at a music school in Havana for many years, but yeah for curiousity sake maybe ask her in passing for me, would be much appreciated, and yeah he's one bad dude, he's touring w/several younger and older members of the BVSC outfit, i'm talking to some organizers to try and get them over here.
  7. bluegreenturtle

Mar 15, 2003
    Jennifer is from Salem, Oregon. I know because I went to junior high and high school with her and play in a chamber orchestra every month with her mom, who's a violist.

She's actually the reason I started playing bass - she is a few years older than me and I saw her playing in the junior high jazz band and I was so impressed - when I was in grade school.

She is actually a cellist by training. Though she played bass in the school jazz ensembles, she only moved to it professionally later.