1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jenny Lee from Warpaint... what effect(s) for this song?!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by King Weapon, Mar 5, 2013.

1. King Weapon

King Weapon

Sep 20, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Alright, I know she uses a chorus throughout the song, but then she kicks on some kind of overdrive(?) at 3:40. What the hell is that?! Sounds sooo good. Like early Cure stuff. Enjoy...

2. Soppy Hat

Soppy Hat

Jul 14, 2012
    Yeah, I think I can see the chorus you're talking about. I'm about 90% sure the fuzz is an EHX Big Muff with the tone rolled down a good bit. Whether in front of or behind the chorus, not sure.

The Russian Big Muff is THE classic bass fuzz sound, which is probably why you recognise it. As far as fuzz goes, bassists didn't have that many viable options for a long time- but the Big Muff was always there for us, calling sweetly, telling us to come in from the cold. :hyper:

Here's Grygrx's video, good demo, she plays a good bit softer than him though so it's a bit less snappy. 2:58 gets very, very close to her tone, minus the chorus.

Full SVT and a Rick. Dammit Jenny... that girl has singlehandedly convinced me to invest in a chorus and trem pedal...
    Cool to see another Warpaint fan on TalkBass! :)

3. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    ;)

4. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    She's also probably still using the chorus plus also reverb, which affects the fuzz tone as well.

5. King Weapon

King Weapon

Sep 20, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    thanks soppy hat! Absolutely good to see fellow Warpaint fans. Jenny is one of the best modern players out there for sure. And thanks Vegas, for the pic. I guess the pedal was the Pork Loin then? Anyone ever try one?

6. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Yep, the Pork Loin. They sound fantastic on bass, actually. I appreciate the thanks, but technically you should be thanking MarkAndHisBass. ;)

7. Soppy Hat

Soppy Hat

Jul 14, 2012
    I stand corrected! Mannnn... I coulda sworn... :atoz:
    Just checked some YouTube demos on that Pork Loin and it does indeed sound awesome! Super fuzzy. I might have to go in for one of them as well. :bassist:

8. King Weapon

King Weapon

Sep 20, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah soppy! Might have to try it as well! damn Pedal addictions