1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jensen C15N vs Eminence Beta 15a

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott Loveless, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Jensen C15N

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Eminence Beta 15a

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  3. Something else

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I still don't understand this whole carrots thing

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Scott Loveless

Scott Loveless Supporting Member

May 3, 2019
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    Howdy, folks!

I'm seriously considering one of the Portaflex-style cabinets from Vintage-Blue (or maybe Fliptops) with the double baffle design, but I'm kind of at odds as to which speaker to get. The spec sheets, at least as far as the bits I can understand, like sensitivity and wattage handling, indicate the Beta 15a might be a bit "better", but that's awfully subjective when it comes to what we like to hear. It's also probably a few bucks less expensive, but the price difference isn't a factor.

Short term plans are for a cabinet with an 8 ohm speaker. It will initially be paired with an early 70s Bassman, because I have one. Long term is to eventually pick up a PF-50t and then possibly a second matching cabinet, in that order.

I'm very interested in hearing opinions about each of those speakers from people who have used them. It would be super nice if you've played through one mounted in a B15 or reproduction cabinet. Double-plus-good if you've played through both speakers in said cabinets. :)

Just to clarify, I'm looking at new production speakers. I'm not going down the vintage/collector's item rabbit hole.

Thanks so much! TB seems to be a wonderful resource for this kind of thing, since it's darn near impossible to try this stuff out without buying it first.

Links to spec sheets, if'n you're interested:
    Eminence Beta 15a
    Jensen C15N

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I've had three B15Ns over the years, two double baffles and a single baffle, and between the two double baffles the early larger port and later small port style. I've had the stock CTS, JBL D140F and K140, Altec 421A, eminence beta, and I think I tried an eminence delta as well? I had an old Jensen concert 15 in another 60s ampeg cab and have a weber bass 15 in my 50s ampeg bassamp. I haven't tried the reissue C15N you've linked here but have used some of their guitar 12" speakers and found them just okay. Between the C15N and the beta 15 I'd take the beta all day. I think my favorite so far in the double baffle cabs has been the D140F.

3. bradd

bradd Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    The Beta is great in Vintage Blue's cabs. I haven't heard the reissue Jensen but have an original in my '61 A15. Replaced it with an Altec 412A but the Jensen will be going back in soon.

Scott Loveless likes this.
  4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The vintage Jensen has a good reputation, the current production is the same in name only. I like the Eminence Beta 15 in the double baffle cabinet.

Given the choice, I’d go with the vintage-blue cabinet over the fliptops one. The VB cab is made with a high attention to detail and quality.

5. I have a D-140 in my B-15S, sounds really good, deep and clear.

AstroSonic likes this.