Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jeordie white VS Twiggy ramirez

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by stinkfist, Jun 9, 2004.

1. ok most of you manson and a perfect circle fans will already know that jeordie white (aka twiggy ramirez) left marilyn manson to join a perfect circle, my question to you is, do you prefer jeordie with manson or a perfect circle

:hyper: I can see my house from here!

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
  3. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    APC. But the only hang up I have with APC is that the bass tone is just carbon copy of Tool's kinda grunty/tribal deal. I'm sure the guys already have a complex about being compared to Tool, for god's sake, don't steal TWO parts of Tool's signature sound, the hell are you thinking!

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    That's odd, because I don't at all consider myself to have "good ears" in regards to tone (especially compared to some members :spit: ) but to me the APC's tonality is almost a 180 from Tool. Low-mids as opposed to high-mids, much less pick grind in APC vs. Tool, your fairly standard P-bass vs. a Wal... but it very well could be me.

As for Jeordie, I'll take him in APC any day of the week. He as much admitted in a BP article a while back that he was limited in MM by the writing and song structures. I'm actually like to hear him in a situation where he can go completely balls-out. Back in the day he was supposed to be a decent metal guitarist, and he was one of the chosen few to be invited to audition for Metallica before they went with Rob.

5. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Yeah and he did'nt go :) Could you imagine Jeordie in Metallicatm ? No way.

As for tone, I too do not see (hear rather) that Tool and APC have similiar tone. Besides I don't think Jeordie cut the tracks for 13th step except for one. I could be completely wrong but I was under the impression that Howerdale laid down the bass lines, and White is more of the live guy. Correct me if I am wrong.

I would have to say I don't have a preference as to which band, though he seems to be happier with APC. Based on interviews and such. I love older Manson though, pass on anything beyond Antichrist Superstar.

6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Very true, but a year or so ago who would have thought Mr. Slappity-Pop would be in the band? :) It seems everyone is happier where they are now, be it Rob, Jeordie, or Jason... as it should be. Well, everyone except Cliff. :eek:

Checking the liner notes now... not listed by track there. Wait, I think he mentioned something in a Bass Player interview...

"I recorded about 80% of the bass. Most of the material was already written by Billy before I joined the band, but I did write two songs with them - "The Package" and "Crimes." I also worked on the bass lines for songs that were already written."

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    as i see it in Manson jeordie was the song writere and the creative force. be it complicated or simple he wrote 90% of the music manson played.

in apc he isnt a main songwriter, yet. so therefore he has to make do with what is given to him, which isnt neccisarily bad. as far as recording goes he recorded all the tracks on the album. he didnt write them, but he recorded them. and as far as tone goes, no tool and apc bass tones are no where near each other. infact i think, but i may be wrong, that jeordies rig in apc is the same as paz's. i think howerdel wants people to use whatever he had used to keep it consistent. didnt both jeordie and paz have a p-bas special, mesa 400+ with an ampeg 8x10? and i know they have some effects switching board, and i think its the same one.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Twiggy was an inspiration for me early on, I use to be ashamed to admit it because Manson is such a tool, but that can't stop good simple bass playing.

Speaking of Tool. I feel Jeordie's bass tone is way different than Justin's. APC's basslines are much better with Jeordie in the band, he's got a great feel for the groove in an abstract sense. I've only heard parts of the new album, but it's very cool. I dig it more than the first.

9. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    I've always loved twiggy and will continue to love him in whatever incarnation he evolves to next.

However he can never obtain the same stage presence, sexuality and charisma that he had whilst with the manson posse. He was absolutely captivating in mm, and in my opinion, he's a bit too understated in APC.
    I much prefered paz as a bassist for apc musically, and she seemed to 'fit in' more comfortably with the rest of the band.

I've seen pre-jeordie/twiggy and post-jeordie/twiggy Manson and APC, and I have to say that whilst i love him in both, manson was his band, in a sense.
    It's a pity he left manson, but it was undeniably time for him to move on.

Oh, and just a little point, daisy and twiggy wrote all the music in manson, and when daisy left, it was predominatly twiggy. Skold is a good solid bass player, but he just can't replace the hole Twiggy left.

/back into hibernation

10. i'm not gonna hate on him, he does his thing. I think I can do better...but eh. He doesn't fit in APC as well as Paz did. Paz was way more audible on Mer De Noms then Jeordie on Thirteenth Step. gravity, package, the noose...thats about it. but for Paz there was Magdalena, Judith, Rose, Thinking of You, Hollow. I'm still waiting for APC to kick him out and call me.....:)

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You know how much I hate to argue with you Gia, but Twiggy's stage presence in Manson? Ahem, I watched a couple live Manson concerts, Twiggy did the standard rock out, and during a slow song he just drooled to get attention and/or he was incredibly stoned. Regardless... this is a sexual stage presence?

Oh, I guess he did pseudo go down on Manson a few time. :meh:

12. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    must have been his reaction to the crappy crowd ;)
    you can't judge how i saw him based on just your experience.

all the (4) times i've seen marilyn manson he was bloody amazing! :D
    he had a most captivating stage presence &i found him incredibly attractive and yes, sexual in the extreme.

i can't explain why really, it must have been the pheremones or something :p

did you see the shows on video, or were you actually there?

as is painfully obvious, jeordie had a drug problem for many years, so when you saw him he was probably on very many narcotics.
    drugs can have varied effects on people's performances in my experience.

for instance when i saw placebo in march, brian was on truckloads of cocain (undoubtably snorted off a groupie's ass) but i have rarely seen him more 'alive' and enthusiastic as he was that night. except of course at the secret PJ Harvey gig i helped out at :cool:

anyway, everyone knows bands always perform better in england

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, I just saw a couple of live videos.

I don't know, I guess I don't find goth guys attractive. :meh:

But on the pheremones subject, that kinda makes sense, because I saw the Melt Bannana open for Fantomas, and while the bassist was playing, I though she was the most beautiful woman on earth. But I saw pictures of her later on the internet and she's pretty, but she's nothing to obsess over.

But then again, correct me if I'm wrong, but you do have strange taste in men, no? Didn't I see a picture of you and your man and he was wearing a dress or something? You just dig a man who can pull off a dress.

14. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    matt matt matt......live videos will not allow you to truly appreciate the sensory experience that is a marilyn manson gig :p

i'd prefer not to discuss my taste in men here, though i dig both extremes. from casey chaos (<3333) to brian molko, and various degrees inbetween.

i just dig a man who can pull off a dress? :meh:
    any guy can throw on a dress, slap on some makeup and call himself twiggy, but to do it with style is a completely different thing.

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm afraid we could never work out then, because I only look good in a nice flowery dress, something with nice blues in it. When I top it off with my sun hat, I'm ready for a night on the town!

Heh, I've dressed like that before, and I must say I looked rather sharp, but I didn't go out for a night on the town, considering what my hometime was like, I would have either got my ass kicked or got picked up for a date that I would never forget, no matter how hard I tried.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    ... oops, I almost forgot, I wasn't just sitting around the house thinking I should start wearing dresses, my girlfriend dared me to put it on, and I was wearing clothes underneath it... I swear. It was very Death from Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.

17. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've only seen Marylin Manson twice. Once, in a tiny club in Dallas (max occupancy=300 people). That was a great show. Then I saw them in some Enormodome™ somwhere, and I was bored out of my mind. The shock rock thing is so much more impressive when you aren't making millions of dollars doing it.

18. dace

dace

Dec 25, 2000
    sydney, australia
    i think its kinda hard to make a call because jeordie didn't join APC until most of thirteenth step had already been written, if we're talking about him from a songwriter's perspective.

i think tool's tone is a lot more hi-fi than apc, especially the early days when paul was using a rick.

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Plus there are only so many people you can rip off until you start repeating yourself.

20. I agree! APC have an awsome flowing P-bass tone of some songs