Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jeremy Plato of Cross Canadian Ragweed...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Aug 9, 2004.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Don't know how many of you really get into "Texas country" or anything, but this guy is just my current idol. Saw Primus in concert and won't ever buy another CD/DVD with Claypool involved, but once I heard some really good CCRW stuff, and how he grooves over simple 3 and 4 chord songs, it's unreal. I wouldn't think of doing a 1/3rd of the things he does with the simple songwriting of Cody and Grady...

Anyone else with similar sentiments? :)

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I saw him on a video the other day, and noticed how tasty his fretless bass work was. I'll have to check out the whole album, I was impressed!

3. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    If you get the "Soul Gravy" CD, it comes with a full live performance of them playing at Shadow Canyon in College Station, TX. It's pretty fantastic. And the new album is hardly a slouch as well. Definitely pick it up!

4. I think the same. Whoever is laying it down on Pat Green's albums is also doing some tasty stuff with great tone.

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

Definitely. I forget the guy's name, but I've seen Pat numerous occasions, and the bass player is always great in the mix. I believe he plays custom Jazzes, from what I've seen.
    Wanted to go to Salsaritaville this past weekend, but had a gig, so I missed out. Ah well.

6. I think the guy that had always played bass for him in the past switched to acoustic guitar and they picked up someone new, but then the last time I saw him the previous guy was doing the duties. Looked like a white Fender Deluxe Jazz 4 string from the pics on the web, but didn't look close enough to be for sure.

So I am not sure who it is on the albums, but Carry On, Whiskey, TX On My Mind, etc... Not real hard stuff, just good! Wish tasty fills came to me that easy.

7. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Absolutely, CCRW impressed me as well. Definitely on my buy list!

8. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

Wow- we reach all the way up there to you yanks as well?!?!? :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :D ;)

Freakin' awesome!!!

9. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Yeah, sometimes I think I'm misplaced. Spent a ton of time in GA, AL livin' and giggin' and loved it! .:bassist:

I have family in Austin, too but haven't been there yet. They move there from AZ.

10. Philip71

Philip71

Jul 23, 2004
    Jeremy is kick ass PERIOD!!!!..:).....Get the new CD Gararge you will not be disappointed..:)

11. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I'm a big fan of Texas/Red Dirt Music.
    Jeremy is great. He has an interview over at the Dean website somewhere.

And if anybody else likes Texas/Red Dirt music I found this place awile back. It has a lot of great bands on it.
    http://www.galleywinter.com/main/

12. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Saw him tonight in College Station, TX... it was an amazing show. They played straight through the new album "Garage", and it kicked major ass. Everyone in the band has obviously been practicing their asses off, because Cody wailed ALL night like I've never seen him before. It was pretty spectacular. Jeremy had THREE solos tonight, and all were amazing as usual. He was using the Ibanez 6 I've seen him playing with recently, and then some type of fretless Yamaha, I think. He's moved from an SVT-IV amp to what looked like a Millenia pre, and some sort of power amp.
    Sound was great as always, as their mix is one of the best I've seen/heard.

More info later! :D

13. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    So yeah, I guess not a TON to update with, but I think Jeremy has it down when playing in between two guitarists.

He doesn't have a whole lotta bottom (even the kick is pretty much low-mid punch over a boom) but really concentrates on the upper-mids, and you can hear everything. Cody and Grady play pretty damn loud most times, but Jeremy's always there.

He doesn't bust out the chops as much on this album as he has before (I guess he's "maturing", hahaha), but still as always very tasteful note selection, and his extra notes, runs and fills are perfectly placed in the context of their songs.

He's definitely a growing hero of mine. The more I see him live, the better approach I seem to get on solos. He has great timing and looooves to play in the upper registers. Very cool.