Jerks-background or genes?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Aug 2, 2004.

1. I've been fine-tuning my jerk-detector later. One thing that has always puzzled me is the nature of jerks/arseholes. Why do they act the way they do? What causes them to be so mean, subtly or otherwise. There seems to be a realatively close percentage in every group of people. While some groups might be rougher around the edges than others, the percentage of inherrant jerks seems to be around the same, taking up maybe 5-15% of the population in the given environment.

Now here's my question. Are jerks born jerks, or is it something they aquire from their background? Most would probably tell you that it's totally a background-related issue, and that's what I've always thought, but I'm starting to wonder if it isn't more inherrant. The certainty that there will be that certain percent makes me think this. I see roughly the same percent of jerks in every environment/group I see. Sometimes in a more mature environment the jerkyness can seem to dissapear, but it will be there under the surface, and will strike in an often very subtle way. What do you guys think about this?
  2. I think jerks are born that way. Or else they are developed at an early age. We call them Playground Bullies.
  3. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    There's another class that are reactionary jerks. You get pushed for so long, and then you start pushing back. I was never a bully, but I'm a certified, grade A bastard now, and I think to some degree it's because of that.

Often, also, I keep my mouth shut until I just can't handle watching or being part of whatever stupid **** is going on. At that point I let go, and then I try to make my point as succintly and powerfully as I can, and if people's feelings get hurt... maybe they deserve it.
  4. Its a combination of genes and learning. Genetic variation accounts for approximately 40-45% of personality variance, while parental influence (non-related to genes) is another 10% and friends/family members external to their immediate family account for approx another 40%.

5. The bullies i have encountered(many) seem to be jealous. They pick on me because they ae jealous of my musical ability or other things.
  6. God, being a jerk is the greatest. It's fun to **** on people's parades. Well, not the innocent. But the innocent are often ignorant, and ignorance is not a virtue...hmmm...God, I love being a jerk...there's a science to it...a spirituality too.
  7. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    There really is a science to being a jerk. Best way to do it is to watch people and learn to read them. Sooner or later, you'll pick up on insecurities and little hangups people have, and then you have more ammunition when the time comes.

Honestly, I really enjoy being a dick to people sometimes.