Jerry Jemmott fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alansan, Feb 21, 2005.

1. alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    anybody have an idea of the make/model of the carved fretless bass Jerry uses in the Jaco video? really 'weird but nice' tone.
  2. alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    thanks for that Cliff. Just out of interest in your opinion would you say the tone on that bass was due more to the electronics/pu's or the woods?

I know it's a typical 'how long is a piece of string?' question, just wondering...
  3. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Jerry's fretless was made by Abe Rivera. I played it a few times while taking lessons with Jerry 6 or 7 years ago. I remember it being a pretty cool bass - although I was probably more impressed in the history of the bass than the bass itself! It is fretted now.
  4. alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    Wow. I've never liked the look of this or any other carved bass but I thought this one had a unique tone. When Jaco plays it at the neck it seems to want to pop and twang without being pulled or slapped.
  5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    cool I had heard a rumour that it had been fretted since. Glad to hear that someone has played it.

The only Abe Rivera stringed instrument that I have seen in person, is probably the most beautiful archtop ge#$tar that the guitarist from Adams Township owns.
  6. Kevin Eubanks uses his guitar version every nite
    on Jay Leno... :smug:
  7. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    This seems all too ironic....i just bought the Jaco w/Jerry Jemmott DVD this weekend. That bass looks killer. The main thing i don't dig is the scroll head stock. Oh well-the bass looks and sounds killer....i'm overly biased since the player was astounding :D