Jerry Jones Longhorn Bass4 Setup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SoldierOfPrayze, Mar 21, 2011.

1. SoldierOfPrayze

SoldierOfPrayze

Mar 19, 2011
    Just got hold of a '92 JJ Longhorn and want to replace the dead rounds on it with a set of D'Addario Chrome Flats I ordered. My question is since this bass has that rosewood bridge is this going to be difficult to setup? Anyone here know where I can find good setup instructions for this bass?

Joe

2. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    You have to angle it so that you get a close proximity to intonation for all strings. You might have to choose which string(s) you want to be spot on and get close for the rest. I think there's a screw that tightens that block Generally the angle gets further from the nut on the G side. Check how close it is at the moment.

I tried a JJ with Chromes and did not like them. I prefer TIs, even on short scale.

Maybe look for a Danelectro or Silvertone forum as they had those bridges.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    +1 for waxcomb. you can get it pretty close with the rosewood bridge. there is a screw under the bridge holding it on, and you can loosen it and slide the rosewood around to adjust intonation. i have a 2010 dano longhorn, and the way i do it is to get the E and G string intonated, then hope the other two are close. in my case, the A was dead on and the D was slightly off. close enough for my tastes ;)

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    '90s JJs rule! i have a copper single-cut two pickup guitar that's just fantastic.

5. SoldierOfPrayze

SoldierOfPrayze

Mar 19, 2011
    Thanks guys!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021