Jerry Jones Longhorn

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacove, Apr 22, 2005.

1. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I've just did my first gig with a Jerry Jones Longhorn...and I'm VERY impressed. A couple of years ago I did a gig with a Danelectro Longhorn and though it sounded okay, it had a "cheap" cheesy sound to it. The Jerry Jones is really in a whole other class. The tone is buttery thick and very defined even if it is a short scale. I played through a Thunderfunk and Bergantino NV610 placed on gramma pad. The venue was a large auditorium, which normally has tendency to be boomy, but the Jerry Jones sat perfect in the mix...At first the sound guy and my band mates laughed at it, but as soon as it blossomed throgh the PA they all flipped. Though it doesn't have the growl of a full scale, it has a punchy warm defined sound, that seems very addictive. It is ofcourse ultra light and very easy to play because of the short scale. Can't wait to hear it through the Whappo Jr. I have on order. :hyper:
  2. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Cool! I picked up one a couple of months back in really nice condition. With the blues/twang/swamp funk project I'm in, this bass actually gets requested by the other band members. They're totally in love with the tone, not to mention the vibe this thing gives off on stage.

3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I actually want a Longhorn 6. Those look they'd be a blast. Longhorn 6 in black? Mmhmm...
  4. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I've been playing JJ Longhorns since 1990, I love 'em. Currently own a Longhorn and a Longhorn BassVI(plus a JJ Master Electric Sitar).
    My fave strings are the D'Addario set made for them.
    I love playing BassVI, I've got a Gretsch SynchroBassVI too.
  5. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Yeah, I think I'll be using the JJ this weekend too.....Anyone ever a/b'ed the neptune models with the older model.
  6. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I've owned two of the original ones with the rosewood bridge. They're great and sounded ever so slightly less twangy because of the wooden bridge. Intonation was not a problem.
    flats sound good on these.
  7. vier-personen

Apr 10, 2006
    I am ordering a jerry jones soon... I can´t decide about the finish though, because it´s hard to choose from pictures. I like the finish on this picture though, but I don´t know which one it is? Is it copper (but then it has white vinyl - on jj site it is written that copper comes with maroon vinyl)?
  8. That is one seriously hot bass. ;)
  9. The longhorns are starting to grow on me a bit (as in Im starting to like the not actually growing long horns :meh:)
  10. Mississippi Al

Mississippi Al

Feb 17, 2006
    I play Country Music, and the Jerry Jones Longhorn is my favorite Bass to play.

However the guys in the band who are far from Country thought it looked ridiculous! Recorded it sounds great, lots of tonal variety.

I love 30" scale and Jerry makes some clever instruments, the electronics on guitars and basses are identical. I have called the JJ workshop and Jerry himself has answered the phone.

The guitars were at one time the exact same color. The Longhorn Bass having spent most of it's days since new in 1994 in pre-smoking ban establishments.

According to Jerry my instruments are interchangeable.