Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jerry Jones owners: Sound off!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by b15fliptop, Feb 24, 2004.

1. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    Hi Folks,
    I think the next purchase for me is going to be a Jerry Jones. I'm interested to hear what models you guys have, and your overall impression. I'm a short scale/flatwounds guy, so don't bother with stuff like "you'll never get a good slap tone out of it" ;) Thanks in advance for any input!

Brian

2. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I have 3 JJ basses, and a JJ Master Sitar. Two are Turquoise-burst 4-string Longhorns, the third, a Copper-burst Longhorn BassVI. The 6 is strung with the JJ bassVI set. One 4 has D'Addarrio short-scale roundwounds, the other, GHS short-scale flats. JJ strings are made by D'Addarrio. I ALWAYS play with a pick. The 4s have standard tone control, the 6 has a 4-way pickup selector and no tone. The 4s have a great bassy tone with the tone rolled off, and can cut thru anything with it maxxed. They are very "solid" feeling basses, no comparison to the cheesy Danelectro reissues.
    Tech support is very cool as most of the time if you call them Jerry answers the phone! High quality case as well.
    Ask me anything, I've owned at least one JJ bass since 1990.
    Ronn
    Austin,Texas

3. b15fliptop

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    Thanks Ronn,
    That's exactly the type of feedback I'm looking for. I also noticed that you play in a Beatles tribute band. My band is a British invasion cover band, so your insight is particularly useful ;) I see on your website that you play a Hofner too, another bass that's on my short list. How would you compare the two? Does the JJ get close enough to the Hofner sound? Anyone else got a JJ story to share? Thanks all.

4. takeout

takeout Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Kansas City area
    Semi-hollow-curious BUMP.

5. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I don't know if JJ still offers it but one of my Longhorns has the old wooden bridge insert instead of separate saddles. This, plus flatwounds makes for a pretty good Hofner tone. The JJ is about a third the cost of a Hofner tho'. The JJ tuners work quite well despite being guitar models. I have NEVER had to adjust the neck of a JJ bass.
    My band plays one set of early Beatles, one set of later stuff(where I play a Ric bass), and then the third set is a Sixties set where I play all sorts of things. I usually end up taking either a Jones, a Phantom Teardrop, or an Epiphone Rivoli(signed by Peter"Herman"Noone).

6. b15fliptop

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    Bump for more replies...

7. b15fliptop

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    One more bump - c'mon people!

8. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    I have the JJ SC and DC. I also have a Silvertone SC 'dolphin nose' and a Dano Longhorn RI. I prefer the JJ SC or DC style over the Longhorn because the neck extends a bit further to the side when I play seated ane the body is more comfortable for me. I feel cramped playing the Longhorn seated.

I also prefer them with flats and I use Labella tapewounds as well.

As far as tone goes, the JJs have a beefier tone than the Dano or the Silvertone, with more mids.

I've played out with the JJs quite a bit.

9. mcgreivey

mcgreivey

Jul 20, 2008
    Long time with no posts on this thread....

I have a JJ Neptune Bass4, which is great, and which has been the bass I play, for as long as I've owned it (about 4 years, I guess). It sounds great, it's easy to play, it's light.

I've never needed to do anything to it, aside from changing the strings and tweaking the intonation occasionally.

I play with round-wounds, like the ones it came with (if I could afford a second bass, I guess I'd get a JJ and put flatwounds on it). There are some growly sounds that are easier to get from say a Precision, but I manage to come close, with the help of the Drive control on a Tech 21 Bass Driver DI.

I play various kinds of loudish ('60s-ish to contemporary-ish) rock a couple times a week.

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool

I have a Jerry Jones SC, ( two lipstick pickups)

It's JJ long scale neck.

Have GHS flats on it.

Great pick or with fingers, Old school thump.

A retro-tone machine.