Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jerry Jones

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tom Neves, Sep 17, 2005.

1. :bassist:

I'm interested In seeing your Jerry Jones basses.

How are they?
    Bring 'em on !

2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I love mine (see avatar), although I suspect I'm about to sell it. It's got a real "open" sound, a little raw, and plays really well, especially with a pick. The string spacing is too tight to play bass-style fingerstyle very well (guitar-style works, though). I'm selling it for reasons that are a little complicated (new fretless + wanted electric oud + family budget). I've got some samples that are kind of ridiculously low-rez of my playing it in a spontaneous music trio here and here. Please don't hold those against me, though. Someday I'll post something good.

3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I bought mine about 6 years ago. It has the Neptune bridge on it which was optional back then.

Jerry makes a great bass in my opinion. The Dano's don't even come close to his.

I like the newer body shape that Jerry has been using for the past couple of years. Guess i'll have to get another one.

[​IMG]

TD
    :cool:

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've been kinda GASing for his Bass 6. 30" scale guitfiddle? I want.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You and me both, Pal. I've been using a pick more and more, and I was really starting to bloat from the GAS.

I guess it's lucky for me that Kelly has a good memory and that certain Gas-X we all know and love. :D

6. Thornton,
    What difference do the bodies have?
    Your bass looks cool :cool:
    That's the color I want , but in the shorthorn model.
    Do you know if there are sound differences between the Longhorn and Shorthorn?
    Can you suggest a good dealer?

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ha, same. Ever since I got my Stingray, I've been using a pick considerably more often, and that's not helping my Bass 6 lust. Gimme one in black, and I'd be good to go.

8. Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
  9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

TD

You have got some great vintage style taste! :bassist:

10. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Here's mine. It's an early one -'91, I believe. I love it.

JJ

11. Uglycicles,
    How does it sound with the Schroeder?
    I have a 1210 and love the tightness of the cab.
    Would you know if the shorthorn sounds the same as the longhorn?

12. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Hi Tom,

I think it sounds great - you're right, Jorg's cabs have a very tight sound.

This particular Longhorn came up for sale in my neck of the woods from I guy I actually know and trust - it was a good deal so I pounced on it. It gets a lot of time with a group I'm in that sounds like a cross between the Meters, Merle Haggard and Buckwheat Zydeco. :eek: :confused: It thumps!

Haven't played the Shorthorns to be able to tell ya, though.

13. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Tom, a few years ago when Danelectro started making their inexpensive re-issue of the 1958 Longhorn, Jerry make some changes to his Longhorn.

He squared off and narrowed the body around just before the horns. I personally like the changes. I think it gives the Longhorn a updated look. It also quickly identifies the bass as being a Jerry Jones rather than a Danelectro 58 re-issue.

This is Jerry's updated Longhorn. You can see what I mean.

[​IMG]

The colour of my Longhorn is Copperburst.

I don't believe there is any differrence in sound between the Longhorn and the Shorthorn. Both used the exact same necks, materials/hardware and electronics.

I think that I will either order my next Longhorn direct from Jerry or from Northcoast Music. These guys always have Black finished Longhorn's in stock. No other colours, just Black.
    I'm just not sure if I want Black.

Cheers,
    TD
    :cool:

14. I like the changes too. The Longhorn is starting to grow on me!
    I found this doing a Google search it's a JJ Copperburst 6.

[​IMG]

I see that the headstock is painted and says Jerry Jones......What's the story on these? Are they an earlier model?
    It looks like the bridge is a bit different too!

15. Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    All JJ basses have the Neptune headstock and bridge, now. It was a way to resolve a dispute with the people who now own the name "Danelectro" as I recall.

16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Before the body shapes were changed (probably after legal action from Evets, the guys who now own the Dano) 2-3 years ago the wood saddle bridge was standard (the adjustable Neptune bridge an option) and the back of the neck and headstock were painted to match the body...all as on vintage Danos.

17. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh. I love your user title. :D

18. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Here's mine, I also have a JJ Master Sitar. I've had two other JJ basses as well.
    [​IMG]

19. Man,
    Those are two beauties to say the least.
    I'm getting Gas blueballs.....darn! :bawl:

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Love the Green Finish !