1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jerry Lee Lewis not impressed with bass player - and lets him know!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jd-ns, Jan 30, 2015.

1. jd-ns

jd-ns

Sep 28, 2010
    Canada
    So I'm listening to/watching a Jerry Lee Lewis (Jerry Lee Lewis and Friends, 1989) concert in the background and noticing the bass player (Phil Chen?) screwing up the chords to "You Win Again". I decide to pay closer attention and by the end of the song unbelievably he is still screwing up! Well old Jerry Lee notices too and slickly inserts the words "Boys I wish you'd please learn your chords it's just an old Hank Williams thing" into the lyrics (just like they were meant to be there!), and glares at the bass player... ha ha!

Later in the show he says into the microphone to turn the bass down! And earlier he told the drummer to pick up the pace in the middle of the song!

About halfway through the show a second bass player (John Lodge?) appears and the 2 bass players play together to finish the show (although only one bass can be heard and it is not John's!)

What an odd but entertaining concert!

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Link or source?

3. jd-ns

jd-ns

Sep 28, 2010
    Canada
    I watched it on Qello - there might be clips on Youtube or elsewhere

4. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee

PWRL, BassCliff, glocke1 and 5 others like this.
  5. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Like Robert Plant, he can't find the bridge.

ahc, Pbassmanca, Funky Ghost and 3 others like this.
  6. rdcowan

rdcowan

Aug 13, 2009
    Central Texas
    Looks like the whole band is looking at each other. Wonder if Jerry Lee was the one who was off?

sigterm, Pbassmanca, nolezmaj and 5 others like this.
  7. Klondike

Klondike

Dec 22, 2014
    Joliet, IL. USA
    Ouch!

8. I wondered that too. Around 1:28 the guitarist (who looks looks a lot like James Burton) has a ?!!??!? moment just before Lewis' solo... if it was JB & he was lost, then the rest of the guys had no chance.

Is Jerry Lee one of those artists like Chuck Berry who just calls the tunes as he sees fit & the band have to follow as best they can?

petrus61, BboogieXVII and 10cc like this.
  9. I'm from Shreveport and whenever Jerry wud play The Boat he'd drop by James Burtons R&R cafe (mid 90's) and play from midnight until 3 or 4 am or whenever he passed out drunk on the piano, sometimes mid-song, only to be carried to his white stretch limo double parked on Commerce Street.

I wasn't there but one night it was Jerry Lee, James Burton, Joe Osborn and Ray Price all on the same stage same time. Joe's oldest son was playing drums.

10. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    In my past experiences the band leader is never wrong :laugh: I will say its refreshing to see pro's mess up a simple 4 chord country standard. Makes the mistake I made last Friday seam tame now.

11. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I am pretty sure that Jerry Lee actually shot one of his bass players once. He over, just a flesh wound. He says it was a mistake, but I'm pretty sure he took two shots. Not joking.

12. jd-ns

jd-ns

Sep 28, 2010
    Canada
    "While celebrating his 41st birthday in 1976, Lewis began playing with a .357 Magnum, which he later stated he thought was unloaded. Pointing it at his bass player, Butch Owens, he pulled the trigger. The gun was loaded and Lewis shot Owens in the chest. Owens miraculously survived."

Pbassmanca likes this.
  13. OldDog52

OldDog52 Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    JLL seems to be shooting lasers out of his eyes a couple times. Either the band didn't know the song, or he was changing it up on the fly. I'm not familiar with the song so I don't know...

Pbassmanca likes this.
  14. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Sounds like JLL stuck in II V I turn that's not in the original.

Johnny Crab likes this.
  15. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Feb 4, 2013
    jammin
    Yes, that's what it sounds like. Quite the train wreck! The bass player wasn't the only one not getting it, but considering JLL's past behavior I bet the bass player was real nervous about it.

sigterm, bkbirge, Pendulous and 3 others like this.
  16. I've been caught in that same boat when the BL changed the key and arrangement on the spot. But that's what playing live is all about sink or swim yet keep pickin' and grinnin'.

17. Hahaha

Hahaha

Sep 26, 2003
    Olympia, WA USA
    It sounds to me like JLL plays a I - VI7 - II7 - V7 turnaround. He hangs on the I a measure longer than what is usual. The clash happens because the bass player goes to the VI7 without holding the I for an extra measure. It's not the original arrangement, if that's what the band was expecting. That's one of the difficulties with older country music. The changes don't always fall according to more traditional forms. It can be confusing if you don't know the song. Folsom Prison Blues is essentially an eleven bar blues progression on the original. Who plays eleven bar blues forms? It gets confusing since some bands add an extra measure to make it twelve, while others stay true to the original form.

Amano and Garret Graves like this.
  18. I see Dave Edmunds there too.

19. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I played in a country band and we did allot of songs like this one. Several of the songs were in the standard playing pattern. The bandleader was good at throwing curve balls extending the 1 and changing the bridges etc. you never knew when he would do it. Sometimes we sounded like JLL band scratchin our heads mid tempo. I learned to have big ears with him that's for sure but it made me a better player.

IamGroot likes this.
  20. Wow I have only seen this on open mic night ha ha ha that was sad yeah the turn around tossed in there through the rest of the band for a loop not sure exactly someone said II V I? whatever it was that oh no we are heading for a train wreak diffidently shows on the players faces

glocke1 and thabassmon like this.