Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jerry Only's Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Listen, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    What was it?

I've only seen black and white low quality photos of him with his bass.

I've been serching like crazy, I've noticed one of his basses had a P and P style pickup config.

I'm talking about 76' or so to 1980...I think.

2. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
  3. Jerry and Doyle build their own instruments and amplifiers. IIRC, their father owns the Stihl chainsaw company, so they have access to all of the equipment they could possibly need.

4. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Well, thats wrong, I know that much. I just did another big search and I found two websites that said he used a RIC, on site just said "black rickenbacker" the other said "custom rickenbacker".

5. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Currently, they make all their own. Before this, they usually made all their own. It's more than likely Jery saw a spiky Rick he liked, gutted it, painted it black, slapped his EMG model Ps in there, and played it for a while...

Also, back in the day, Jerry and Doyle went through a lot of instruments at shows, smashing them to be cool. They'd play something random for half a set, destroy that, then pull out their customs to finish off.

6. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    No they don't! They use Gothic Customs! I'll have to take your word on the "back in the day part".

7. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Bah. GCG used to have a thing in their FAQ about the 'Fits making their own stuff, but I guess that's changed in the past few months. The GCG website DOES say that he won't make more Misfits instruments without the consent of the band, however.

Edit: From misfits.com:
    Aside from an inventive approach to music and its visual presentation, their all-encompassing DIY mentality was and continues to be their strong suit. From their Misfits compound in the far reaches of North Jersey which includes even a family owned machine shop business, they craft their own instruments: guitars and bass down to the studded leather straps and even their spiked leather jackets. Creativity rules as they design and construct on site their own elaborate stage sets and wide array of infamous props.

8. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    I think that may mean about body design, but still...very cool.

Thanks for the info!