1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jerry Peek

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by toowrongfoo, May 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. toowrongfoo

toowrongfoo

Nov 25, 2017
    Old enough to remember?

What a madman.

gebass6, Afc70, Dr. Cheese and 3 others like this.
  2. fusionguy

fusionguy

Aug 21, 2014
    Awesome band!

toowrongfoo likes this.
  3. toowrongfoo

toowrongfoo

Nov 25, 2017
    Pick, fingers, slap, didn't matter, MADMAN!

JimK likes this.
  4. To hang with Steve Morse one must be a certified bad ass mofo! Andy West, Jerry Peek, Dave LaRue, Roger Glover.... it don't matter.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I thought someone posting here was Jerry Peek, but I was mistaken. As someone said, he had to be a monster to hang with Steve Morse.

6. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    He's the reason that I sought out and bought my 20 fret Guild Pilot bass. I was shopping for records at the long gone Treasured Tracs records on South Congress in 1984 when the guy working put on The Introduction. After hearing Cruise Missile I had to buy it. It was the only copy that they had so I had to let side one finish. :)

2vacvwg.jpg

NigelD, toowrongfoo and Dr. Cheese like this.
  7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    There are some Jerry Peek threads around here...

Before Steve Morse, Peek was in a North Carolina Jazz-Fusion 4-tet called 3PM. IIRC, 3 guys had names that began with "P", 1 began with "M".
    A friend had this LP back in the day. Wish I had it.

Total bad asses.

jerry likes this.
  8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    You can pick up The Introduction and Stand Up as a 2-fer for about $13 (at Amazon).

Dluxe and jerry like this.
  9. toowrongfoo

toowrongfoo

Nov 25, 2017
    But it's not yellow. :smug:

Dluxe likes this.
  10. toowrongfoo

toowrongfoo

Nov 25, 2017
    The introduction is one of life's treasures.

11. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Nice Jim!!! Did that 3PM ever make CD? I noticed the date was 1981 and a little before CDs were available to the larger market.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jerry...don't think 3PM made it to cd.

13. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    No the 3PM release "Better Late Than Never" was vinyl LP only. The rips posted on YouTube are fairly good. That LP had a kind of odd timbre. The highs were OK but it never had the sparkle of a really great vinyl mastering like Steely Dan.

I'd love to somehow untangle the bass riff to Banana Daiquiri and learn it but...wow.

JimK likes this.
  14. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    He was here for a while posting as Peekster about 10 years ago. I asked him a few questions and we wound up in a PM conversation that went on for rather a long while. He's not playing pro any longer, still has a project here and there. He thinks the bass part in Cruise Missile is dangerous for a kid learning bass to hear, in case that kid thinks bass players get to do that all the time. Which was the case with me as a kid. He has (or had) a Fender Roscoe Beck 5 that he liked a lot.

Very nice guy; not sure why he stopped dropping in.

Dr. Cheese and rufus.K like this.
  15. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Were you with me at the Erwin Center when they opened for Rush in about 1985? Power Windows tour, I think.

16. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I missed Rush that year. Wish I could have been there! I did see Prince Purple Rain Tour and Bob Seger that year though.

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The YT rips of 3PM are good. No complaints here.
    Katz/Steely Dan albums are great in that regard...like reference disc material.

18. toowrongfoo

toowrongfoo

Nov 25, 2017
    Still, CM is an iconic bass line. NOBODY can do it right, even Dave LaRue kinda forced his way through it imo.

19. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Larue doesn’t play it right; I’m convinced. I can’t imagine how he does not, but he does not.

toowrongfoo likes this.
  20. toowrongfoo

toowrongfoo

Nov 25, 2017
    I had it close about 20 years ago. But there is something about the open strings that kills me. Also, you MUST have the neckish pup hotter as the tone is closer to a P than he played live (to my ears)

Man, it's so EFFORTLESS with him, always drove me nuts.