Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jerry portrait underway!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jim Ingraham, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    I wasnt going to post about this till its done but i got busted over in the Show your amps thread, so we'll make it a show progress thread instead. Heres where im at so far:
    [​IMG]
    This is a detail from a 34x48 oil im doing for the guitarist in my dead cover band. This is the only part painted so far. What i do is: i have a large format inkjet printer that i use to put my reference photo directly on the canvas and paint right on top of it. Saves me a bunch of time and assures a good likeness. So what you see in the other thread is the still the printed part. I'll post more parts as i finish them. When Im done im going to have it scanned and make full size prints on canvas ot it. Should be pretty cool :hyper:

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia
    Man, thats nasty! im diggin it very much

4. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    When you make the prints, I want one. Do a Jaco, as well. Maybe a Django?

My wife teases me about liking these guys. I wanted to name the dog we were trying to get 'Django', but he was taken and we got Honey in stead.

5. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    Do you have any good uncopyrighted reference photos?? Excellent ideas for future subjects. I have to watch what i use for reference beacuse i use it very exactly. Im giving a free print to those who supply me with a good quality, *clean"(ie. you own the copyright) photo to work from.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    So are you printing the photo directly onto the canvas? How far from the photo to you take your paintings? A painter who also runs a gallery I've shown at (I'm a painter as well-I've not worked with photos though) takes photos, blows them up, and then paints over the photos themselves, but printing them onto canvas is an interesting notion. Her site is www.bockrathgallery.com if you're interested.

Your Jerry is looking pretty cool so far :)

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

Isn't that like copying it? :)

-Mike

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    ;)
    She adds lots of oil painting techniques to them, and leaves some parts photo and some parts oil. They're pretty cool.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    ahhh....OK. I bet they do end up looking really nice.

-Mike

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Maaaan, I wish I did have some good shots of them. But I don't.

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    That's pretty nice, Jim...

I'm not into portrait art, but very very nice.

12. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    Thought id post an update here. Ive been very remiss in keeping this up to date as im now nearing completion. I started Jerry back in June and probably have 70-80 hours in him now. The underpainting is about done and im finally satisfied with the backround after redoing it about 5 times so far. I have to finish the mike stand and his cables and then ill start the glazing process where i start alternating layers of thin transparent colour and varnish.

Heres where i need some help...my reference photo is pretty overexposed and a lot of the details in the dark areas are gone...im trying to bring them back, especially in his g****r.
    Im pretty sure it's an Alembic and i cant see the details of whats on the headstock... is the Alembic emlem there or something else or nothing.. a link to a better pic would be great or just knowing if its there or not would be good enough..thanks

anyway here's where he's at as of today....

[​IMG]

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    WAIT STOP! Don't put an Alembic emblem on it! It's not an Alembic, although I'm told the guy who built it may have worked there at some point.

I found a webpage that'll help a bit: http://dozin.com/jers/guitars/tiger/info.html I hope it'll do you some good.

Having gotten that out of the way, the painting looks awesome! Absolutely incredibly cool. :hyper:

14. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    DingDingDingDing.... we have a winner!! :hyper:

Thank you Bard, you have made my day!
    A free print to you my freind!!
    Actually a free print will be available to all as im going to share a version of the file with the community. When the painting is finished, ill have it scanned at 100% on a large flatbed scanner. Im going to then make an unsigned, un-numbered version available for free download. This file you'll be able to take to any gic'lee equipped printer and get a 100% copy on canvas that'll be pretty much indistiguishable from the original. :D

15. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    Did a little more research on that website and the guitar in my reference is actually "Rosebud"... more here:http://www.dozin.com/jers/guitars/rosebud/rosebud.html
    Now that i enhance my photo a little more i can see that the Tiger emblem is there. It looks like the Alembic eagle is incorporated into the Tiger design almost like an applique.

16. wow...awesome painting so far!

when are you going to do one of Trey? (you might as well stay with the jamband theme!)

17. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    listen close 'cause i'm only going to say it once.

the grateful dead were not a jamband. show me one jamband that actually sounds like them.

thank you.

;)

18. Actually, if any of you have heard of Gerhard Richter, a lot of paintings of his were done by projecting a photograph onto the canvas which he then painted over. The Cover of Sonic Youth's "Daydream Nation" is one of the paintings he did in that way.

Ohh, and here's a picture of a very similar guitar to the one Jerry has in that picture. As far as I understand the guitar was originally built by Alembic but modfied extensivly later on, including a headstock replacement, which removed the Laembic logo.

[​IMG]

19. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Actually, that is 'Rosebud'. Jerry named his guitars after the image inlaid over the preamp/battery cover. The skeleton-chick-with-a-rose image is "Rosebud", therefore, the guitar got called that. I wasn't aware of Rosebud being an Alembic. I thought she was another Irwin.

Edit: Actually I just went and looked. Rosebud was another Irwin. She was an updated version of 'Tiger', with different electronics. What is this Alembic Rosebud guitar? Is this one of Jerry's that I don't know? Is it a custom made for a fan by Alembic? I see the Alembic logo. But that doesn't tell me it was one of Jerry's guitars. I just see it LOOKS like one of Jerry's guitars. It actually looks a bit better.I prefer the cleaner look of the black-topped pickups, without the enormous brass surrounds.

20. That is an alembic guitar which is a tribute to one of Garcia's. I'm really not up on Dead guitar history, most of what I gathered was through the Alembic club and the occasional website I checked. I think you're right that Irwin built Rosebud, though you have to admit that those two guitars look very, very similar. As far as I can tell the body design was orginally by Alembic and that headstock is definitly an Alembic standard.
    As always, I could be wrong.

Edit: I re-read my previous post. What I should have said was that the guitar pictured was an Alembic and that I thought Jerry's guitar was orginally built by Alembic and the modified by Irwin. mute point by now, but I just wanted to correct that.