Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jerry Scheff

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by cassanova, Aug 7, 2003.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Up until today I was only aware that he played with Elvis Presley and did some stuff with The Doors.

I really dig his work with Elvis Presley the most. I was totally unaware of many of the other groups he's sat in with. Ironically Ive heard most of the other groups and dont like their music much if at all.

The most recent date on his discography that I noticed was 1996 with Richard Thopmson. Under his current listing is some work from 2002 which appears to be mostly Elvis tribute stuff. Id like to know who he played with between 1996 and 2002 so I can check out more of his playing.

Does anyone here happen to know?

As I stated above I really dig his work with Elvis Presley alot and that is what makes him an influance of mine. Id like to learn even more about him.

Included is a copy of his discography just in case others would like to check out some of his work.

Jerry Sheff Discography

2. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Jerry Scheff is one of my favorites. I, too played in an Elvis tribute band once and I'm telling you, some of the parts that he played live presented quite a challenge to learn. Just listen to the version of "Suspicious Minds" on Aloha From Hawaii and you'll know what I mean. It was a learning experience for me.
    BTW according to an interview BP mag did with him several years back, he mentions his right hand approach and says he played all that stuff with just the bird finger! WOW! And, if you watch the shots of him live you'll see it's true.

Good call on Jerry. :cool:

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I never knew that. The only person Ive ever really seen use just one finger a lot of times was Geddy Lee.

On a side note. I saw Elvis back in 1975 or 76 when I was 5 or 6 years old. I really wish I knew about bass and music more then. Because it was Jerry holdin it all down and I never knew it. Itd also be nice if I could remember most of the show...lol

4. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    As far as paying gigs, it never really panned out at all. You see, the guy who was the impersonator was in charge of the whole thing. It was his idea. The problem was that he was as looney as a betsy bug. Nuttts! He was running purely on emotion, with no sense of the business reality. Long, long, sad story there.

Another thing about doing an Elvis tribute is that, in order to do it properly, you have to have lots of people. Add at least a couple of horns, at least 2 or 3 backup vocalists, bass, 2 guitars, keys, drums and that's a bunch of mouths to feed. That's the way the above-mentioned guy did it and he found out the hard way. It is, from what I saw, pretty tough to make it as an Elvis tribute.

On the Jerry Scheff topic, did you notice the distorted sound on the bass solo on "Polk Salad Annie"? I've often wondered if he added distortion or if it was just that he was playing so hard and loud that it caused his amp to distort. Whatever it was, it sounded pretty rough! Hmmmm......:cool: