Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jerry Was a Racecar Driver = Elephant Talk

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Petary791, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Has anybody else noticed this? I just learned how to play "Elephant Talk" on bass (yes I know it's on a Stick) and it sounds like Primus's "Jerry Was a Racecar Driver." I have heard Claypool say that they're a blatant King Crimson rip off, and it shows (not a bad thing.) The 2 diminished chords that are tapped up high in JWARCD are the same exact notes tapped in ET. Silly Les! :hyper:

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Thanks for making that articulate announcement.:smug:

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    It's only talk!

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yep, but Claypool gets all the credit for the bassline...

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah, unfortunately. Claypool would not exsist without Levin.

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Tony Levin is Claypool's dad? :eek:

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Pretty much! :p

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well, uh, Tony Levin is my nephew so like... uhm... his dad... my brother... I pulled him out of a burning building when he was 12... so Tony Levin/Claypool would not exsist without me.

9. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    I only get a slight resemblance to the basslines and thats VERY slight. and the styles or movements dont match at all. If you are playing both lines correctly that is;) .

10. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well what I mean is that they both used the same diminished chords, and they both go from tapping something up high to tapping something down low rather fast. The structure is similar.

11. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Never noticed this! Will have to compare/contrast when I get home. :D

12. Anyone ever hear Claypool's version of Thela Hun Ginjeet (with the Frog Brigade)? Pretty good IMO, they sound just like King Crimson. I didn't know Les was that influenced by Levin, I know he's a big Rush fan, but I never heard anything about him and Crimson (except of course for that cover).

13. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I saw that they did it on some site, but I haven't heard it. SOMEBODY SEND ME IT!

But yeah I have heard Les say that Primus is a blatant King Crimson ripoff.