Jerzy Drozd at NAMM: Impressions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Obsius29A, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY
    So, someone here posted a link to a preview of the Jerzy Drozd basses that are being featured at NAMM, but I haven't read any reactions to those basses! What's the good word? Certainly gorgeous, but how do they play and sound? The string spacing looks huge on some of them.
  2. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    I was just going to post exactly the same question. The other day I revived the thread you were talking about with the same question with no responses. I would have thought with all the excitement about the basses in the NAMM thread, some people would have certainly have tried them. I actually thought about the one Bass NW has. It was one of them from the NAMM show.

Let's here about the Drozd basses. What did you think about them?
  3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i'm not a dealer, so i guess i can answer..
    they were beautiful basses and played great. I did not get to plug one in, but a very respected acquaintance told me the fretless was TO DIE FOR!
    Jerzy was very cool...
    the basses are beautiful...
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I'm definitely not associated nor affiliated with Jerzy Drozd in any way, but I also wasn't at NAMM...otherwise I'd post.

I'm sure everyone knows my thoughts about his basses, though.;)
  5. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    I played the 6-string fretless. It IS killer. I had no problems with the string spacing, but I found that the arrangements of the cutout/pickup layout didn't allow my to rest my hand quite where I wanted, but that is a matter of personal preference. I certainly couldn't fault the sound or construction of the bass in any way.

I also spent a good bit of time listening to 2 other bassists play that bass and another fretless that Jerzy made. I think any bass would have sounded great in their hands. I have had no success getting a good sound out of a fretless C string, but Joy (one of the other bassists) absolutely had it singing.

I didn't get to try out the MIDI on the fretless, but I was told that the microtones do track somehow.
  6. hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Jerzy's basses were my favorite NAMM surprise (keeping in mind that I expected Benavente, Nordstrand, Brubaker, etc., to be awesome and they were of course so they were no surprise). I spent a lot of time at the booth, talked with Jerzy & Dan Lenard - great guys and KILLER basses. If I could have afforded a 2nd bass at NAMM (after the holly Bene) it would have been a Drozd.

some Drozd NAMM pics here

7. hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    The kid (Jimmy) rocks! He can follow Dick pretty much note for note. In fact, during Dick's demo he said that they had played a club the night before and when he was annouced he started "ghost playing" (with Jimmy off stage) and then took his hands off his guitar to let the audience know that Jimmy had been playing the whole time. They also did some runs together where they were playing EXACTLY the same thing at the same time. Pretty amazing for a little guy.
  8. I played the custom 7. It was amazing (for a wood bass). :) Terrien on a Jerzy Drozd Custom 7.JPG

I can't figure out why my smile was so freakish. Perhaps it was because I just came from the Coffin Case Booth?: Terrien and Jasmin St. Claire.JPG

Mike Pope also passed by and demoed a few of Jerzy's 5 string basses.

Jerzy and I also had a lively discussion about the recent form of Barcelona FC football:
  9. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i am having issues getting to some of the pages on the Jerzy website. the front page does mention that they are upgrading some of the pages. so a couple of questions to those who may know:

first of all, how is Drozd pronounced?

second question: due to the website update, i cant get to the page that lists the US Dealers. who are the known dealers at this time?

Finally, are there any projected prices listed anywhere?

10. Check out
  11. soul64basses

Mar 26, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I had a chance to play Jerzys basses at NAMM and they were awesome!the sound was kick***.I was all over it slapping and everything untill Jerzy told me I was running the controls flat.I kicked in the treble boost and bass boost and it blew my mind!the lowend was crazy.I must say,the Jerzy pickups were truly amazing.also,His craftsmanship was stunning as well. DM
  12. Hi, it's pronounced something like Jerr-zy The-rosed

Maybe you'd like to check this
  13. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    According to the guys at Luthiers Access Group, Jerzy is pronounced "YAIR-zee"

LAG brought a bunch of Jerzy Drozd basses to the Michigan Guitar Show a couple years ago. I got to A/B one of them with my Hanewinckel Artist Series and found them to be incredibly similar in tone and feel. Both had Bartolini pickups and circuitry. The Drozd was a little zingier on the G string then my Hanewinckel, but that could very well have been a commentary of the "freshness" of my strings.

14. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    I've been able to play quite a few Drozds and they've all been excellent. That said, their not my personal faves. They do take a little getting used to in terms of feel as well as electronics.