1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jerzy Drozd Barcelona

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by allenhumble, Nov 29, 2006.

1. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    This is a very cool looking bass. (I would attach a pic. but I haven't figured that out yet.) Semi hollow-body, Passive, optional midi, No radius finger board? Why?
    Any opinions?

2. here
    [​IMG]

right click copy
    copy location
    then paste between [​IMG]

3. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    This bass was built in conjunction with Carles Benavent, a Spaniard bass player that tours with Paco de Lucia, for example.

He plays super-fast and with a pick, and I'm guessing he draws a lot from Spanish and classical guitars, which have almost none, or no fingerboard radius.

The guy is pretty much playing a classical or flamenco "bass" guitar.

Look up his recordings. Pretty freakin' amazing.

4. +1 That is a bass designed for a very unique and specialized sound. I recently saw Carles live with that bass with Chick Corea's new band. Pretty amazing... the bass sounded... well... I can't describe it.... maybe as you state like a classical guitar and octave lower. Not my thing, but PERFECT for his playing and the flamenco oriented music that Chick is playing now.

5. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I'm a fan of his work. That's the one made for Carles Benavent.

**Edit...Looks like I'm not fast enough with pushing the Submit button. Two posts in the time it took me to write two sentences. I need more coffee, I guess. Goinna go get some now.**

6. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    How does slap sound on a hollow body? I would love to have a bass like that but it might be my cup o tea.

7. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I love Drozd's basses on the whole. This bass however looks horrible to me. Too "Wishy"... :meh:

8. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I know people that slap on fretless, and people that slap in Rickenbackers, but I doubt you'll find anybody that slaps on hollowbodies and gets a good sound out of them.

Generally, for a good slap sound you need a solid mass so the string's energy is bounced, instead of absorbed.

I would think that if you use a super light gauge, like .90-.30 you could accomplish some kind of slapping tone.

In other words, the lower the mass of the bass, the lower the mass of the strings has to be to get any kind of good slap sound. Listen to Spanish guitar: flamenco guitar player slap sometimes, and it sound pretty good, because they are using low mass strings with an obviously low mass guitar.

That's my theory, anyway.

9. +1 A bass like this or other 'true' semi-hollow bodies like the Godin, Allen and Turner basses are meant to sound 'acoustic', mellow and organic... and as mentioned above, have very low body weights.... not a good combination for slap.

However, basses with subtle routings and chambers like the Sadowsky NYC's, MTD Chambered models, etc. would be just fine IME and IMO.

10. it's kinda like an Ibanez Jem with the handle and twice if not treble the price.

11. The Barcelona is the only Jerzy Drozd model I like the looks of, and it does sound amazing in the hands of Carles Benavent. If I ever win the lottery, and all that...

12. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    Does anyone no where I can get some sound clips of this bass?

13. Much better than the Chick Album for hearing that bass. I didn't see the soundclip links at the bottom.

Man, Carles sure is a unique player. I've seen him with Paco and also Chick, and he's really something... totally different than anyone else I've ever heard.

14. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
  15. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
  16. Ultimate Adventure is IMHO an album to avoid, for more than one reason (at least by those of us who aren't fans of fusion, nor Ron L. Hubbard's writing).

Those who want to hear more of Cerles' playing could look into some neo flamenco albums instead. He's collaborated with many different artists, both as a sideman and a solo artist, and IME most any neo flamenco compilation will include at least one or two tunes with his bass playing present.

17. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    I love the sound of his bass in the sound clips from Jerzys' site.

18. Well, I'm surely not a fan of Scientology, but IMO that disc is pretty cool... very unique 'fusion' of modern Flamenco-style playing with Chick's 'My Spanish Heart' era.... very nice IMO. I saw the tour and it was stunning. However, difficult listening, and obviously, if you don't like it.. you don't like it.

In the spirit of you post, a more 'traditional' context to hear Carles in is Paco Delucia's 'Across America' (I think that's the title) live CD... pretty nice. Although, Carles did not have the Drozd on that tour.