1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jerzy Drozd Basses leaks one's e-mail address

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PhiDeck, Dec 15, 2011.

1. I received 3rd party SPAM sent to the unique e-mail address that I gave to ONLY Jerzy Drozd Basses (for the purpose of receiving their newsletter).

I can't tell whether their security sucks and the address was harvested without their knowledge, or whether they are selling their mailing list. Regardless, I do not recommend you provide them with your address (or any other data).

2. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    I hope people notice this thread, seems crappy

Bump

3. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Did you ask them? They might not be aware, and in any case should be told to desist or investigate.

4. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA

I'd like to know how they replied when you contacted them?

I had the same experience with a subscription to niche market magazine with limited circulation, and found the response I got from the publisher so unacceptable that I cancelled my subscription.

5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    It's the internet. Someone will find a way to get it.

6. So true. It's probably not their fault.

7. Hi.

So, You created an e-mail account with a respected and trusted service provider, paid for it, and still recieved targeted spam that had nothing in common with the e-mail adress itself?

Yep, what did Jerzy Drozd reply?

Regards
    Sam

8. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I'd be all over them.....of course....after I checked the fine print to see if, by clicking some box, you allow them to provide your address to their "Special Partners".
    But yeah, I'd be all over that one.

9. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    uh-oh-internet-tough-guy-here.

10. Ever since I started working for Bing.com I read the privacy policy on every web site I sign up for.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd be very surprised if Jerzy intentionally sold or gave the address out. What did he say when you asked him? Please don't tell me you posted this on a public forum before you checked it out with Jerzy.

12. otherclef

otherclef

Aug 10, 2011
    Charleston
    This is true... Odds are its not them. ( if they are any kind of smart ). The email headers ( envelope ) are readily seen in many logs. Could be a sysadmin/make some $$ on the side dude.

13. Hi.

Wanna bet on that?

Regards
    Sam

14. Regrettably, I did. His web site has no provision for leaving a message. If I e-mail him and his mail server or client are compromised, then the bad guys have my primary e-mail address.

My hope is that he periodically searches for mention of his name or Web site, finds this thread, finds and fixes the problem, and posts here to that effect.

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Use the compromised address. It's already toast. Jerzy answers his emails. You're not dealing with a big giant company here. He's a craftsman probably not too interested in fiddling around with email brokering.

16. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    You couldn't use the already compromised address to send him a message?

17. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    JINX!

18. The Lemon

The Lemon Banned

Aug 16, 2011
    Calm down guys, this is the internet. Nobody overreacts or jumps to conclusions here!

19. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

Jan 23, 2002
    Belgium
    Why not just use the email address you received the spam on? One little spam message is not going to blow up your computer (unless maybe you click some link in it). (edit: ok, I type too slow... :) )

If you feel small companies will find out about this kind of problems like this, IMHO you are expecting a bit much... Jerzy Drozd basses is a very small company, and they have basses to build and sell too.

Other means to reach him, all very visible on his website:
    - link to his forum:
    Jerzy Drozd Basses :: Index
    If you don't want to register with your main email, just make another free "fake" one with yahoo, hotmail, ...

- His Blog:
    Welcome to Jerzy Drozd Basses official Blog

- He also has a facebook page (but I don't)

Good luck!

20. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    BTW, Jerzy is a "wood matters" guy. Oh, wait ... that's another thread.