Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jerzy Drozd Basses Look Good... but any word on how they sound and play???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MoTown, Dec 16, 2002.

1. MoTown

MoTown

Nov 27, 2002
    Nice Looking basses, I wonder if they are all flash?

[​IMG]

2. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    I.......havta....go...to...th.th.the bathroom.. now...........:oops: :oops: :oops:

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've played 5 or 6 of them and they've all been incredible! The woodworking is completely flawless, the fretwork is top-notch, the neck shapes are very thin and fast.

I expect to buy one by the summer. It beat out MTD (by a little), Elrick (by a little more), Fodera (by a little more than that), Roscoe (by even more), and by Stambaugh (by a little).

In short, they're excellent, top notch basses!:D

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    man, you gotta love the burl black poplar tops they put on the prodigy basses...awesome

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I can be pretty picky about the overall look of a bass... there are some highly-regarded boutique luths whose basses I consider butt-ugly. But that one is gorgeous! Not just the fancy top, the entire bass. I've got Drozd next to Fodera in my "if I ever hit the lottery" wish list.

6. MoTown

MoTown

Nov 27, 2002
    Yes, everyone these are super looking basses. Wish I could play one to really know what they are about! RAM seems to like them a lot! That's a good sign, seeing he's compared them to some really big names.

RAM - have you tried playing any of their 3 octave basses?

[​IMG]

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Never tried a 3 octave. Their 28 fret models are hard enough for me.

The bass you have pictured is the exact bass I expect to play next, and will model my purchase after. It's been modified (by Jerzy himself) to include a coil tap and 3-band mid selector, I'm told.

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey ram. i just noticed that your sig is from the nobel peace prize winner and holocaust survivor elie wiesel...did you by any chance see him on tv a couple weeks ago talking about "night." pretty cool interview...

let us know how the drozd turns out, eh? you must live near LAG...lucky devil, you

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I do live near LAG. But, I have to travel hundreds of miles to try out Elricks, which are made in my hometown!:( At Bass Central I've played 4 different Foderas, 3 the last time I was there....(thanks Gard!!!) I also played a few Roscoes 'n other stuff.

IMO, Jerzy's basses are just as good as anything, if not better.

I didn't see Elie Weisel on TV, but did see him in person in October in Chicago.

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wow...he's a real charismatic guy, eh?

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I want that VI. Let me know how it plays and sounds, RAM? thanks. :D

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    He's unreal! A true intellect with amazing charisma! It was really great listening to him speak. It was my first time, but my wife's 2nd or 3rd. Others in my family have also seen him and met him.

It's probably the first time that I really felt like I was in the presence of a great mind. He's provokative yet not condescending. I'd see him again, in a heartbeat!:D

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I will...only if I hate it:p

If I really, really love this exact one, I may just put a deposit on it. But, that's getting ahead of myself.

14. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i was really liking the look of the 28 fret 6 string with the wenge neck/walnut body/zebrano top at LAG...what do ya think of that one? dan said that the bart x pups on that one are great.

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Does anybody know nut width/string spacing for Jerzy Drozd 5-stringers (or whether it's user choice)? I couldn't find that info at the LAG site.

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah...

i think if i had all the $$$ i could want to get a custom bass...

drozd is one of maybe two bass companies that would make me stray from warwick.

that says aLOT.

17. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Try contacting Jerzy himself or Dan Lenard at Luthier's Access Group. Dan's a great guy, and certainly more than patient enough to deal with me.:D

18. Kelvin

Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    Singapore.
    I'm sure I'm speaking for some of us who're in the market for a customized > $2.5k instrument. The obvious dilemma is deciding between a more established name (e.g. Ken Smith, MTD etc) or one of the new impressive up and comers (e.g. Jerzy Drozd, Chris Benavente etc) to deliver the bass with the sound you need and yet be asthetically pleasing.

For practical reasons of resale (yes, though you may not think of it now), I'm sure you've noticed that more established makes hold their value somewhat. You'd only need to look at Carl Thompsons and pre-Gibson Tobias basses.

There'a a Jerzy Drozd on ebay, btw. For an instrument that probably fetched > $3k, the highest bid after a few days stands at $1550. (correct me if someone hasn't upped the ante)
    MTDs, have generally been going for over $2k in decent condition.

I don't deny that JD builds great basses. I've tried a fretless 5 some years back in San Diego, but personally (and I speak for myself only) I'd go with MTD as a safer choice, knowing full well that JD might be the next Michael Tobias or Ken Smith and I've missed the "deal" of a lifetime.

ust my measly 2 cents.

19. I wouldn't mind a JD 4-banger, but I'd want a custom neck profile for a 5.

20. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hmmm...you really think that kind of depreciation is limited to smaller builders like Jerzy Drozd? I've seen Alembics (the granddaddy of custom shops), Roscoes, Ken Smiths, MTD, and US Spectors take those exact same hits, particularly in recent months.

And, here's an example: I used to routinely see US Spectors selling for anywhere from $2,400 to $2,600 USED for a 4-string. Now I see them for $1,600 to $1,800.

And, to top that off, that depreciation is not even limited to high-end builders. I used to see G&L 2000's go for around $800 or more used, now as low as $600.

The reason there's heavy depreciation has little do do with some of these custom builders; it's got a lot more to do with the fact that nobody (except Brad Johnson:p) is spending a lot of money on basses they way they used to. And, because of the nature of high-end builders, they're inherently expensive. People have a lot of cash tied up in 'em.