Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jerzy Drozd basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thehurlatron, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Does anyone know what the differences between a "Basic V" and a "Excellency V" or "Mastery V" are besides the wood selections and neck through? Are they the same electronics and build quality?

There's a big jump in price between the basic and upper level lines, and I'm looking to find out if it's like the difference playing , and build quality between a Warwick Rockbass streamer and a Warwick streamer stage I or II.

I've emailed luthiersaccessgroup about checking out some of their basses, but no response yet.

Any info is appreciated.

(it doesn't help that the Jerzy Drozd website is all kinds of not working )

2. I read an interview with Jerzy where he said that the playability of his basses are pretty much the same, so I would figure the extra cost of exotic wood, time for multiple lams, etc would drive the price up accordingly. That being said I have received/played my first Jerzy Drozd and it is spectacular in every way!
    You might try to email Jerzy directly, he is a great guy and though busy for NAMM right now, he gets back pretty quick.
    info@jerzydrozdbasses.com

3. I'll have the pleasure of playing a number of Jerzy's basses (all 5 strings), from the lower to the higher end this Sunday at Luthier's Access Group. Dan is nice enough to open the shop for me since I'm gigging in Chicago this weekend. My understanding is that the build quality is identical, and the primary differences are number of laminates in the neck, the extent and quality of the top wood, and the neck through vs. bolt-ons. I believe the standard pre that he uses is a Bartolini... Dan orders all of his with the 'upgrade' Aguilar three band, I believe.

I'll post on Monday with my impressions of the models and the basses in general.

4. This Dan you speak of, does the LAG have an actual store, or is it a dude and a bunch of axes? I'm in West Michigan, and I would have no problem making a trek to Chicago to try a few out, I just have gotten no response from this infamous Dan that I hear people talk about.

5. KJung, I believe Dan has a Legend 6 of his own knocking around there too, you should try that one too.

6. He does not have a store front... he works out of his house. From what I understand, he tries to do a few 'shows' a year, where he will come into town and rent out a place somewhere and bring all the basses, etc. Otherwise, it's an internet type deal (just like Glenn and Austin Bass Traders).

I'm surprised he hasn't responded to you... he's a great guy and truly loves the bass guitar. His whole vibe is that he acts as a distributor to rather obscure high end luthiers and amp/cab manufacturers who don't have major distribution in the bigger stores or sites (Stambaugh, Drozd, Schroeder, at one time Phil Jones, etc., etc.). Of course, he has to make money, so it's more expensive to buy from him than direct from the Luthier... but since he preorders the basses, they are there when you are ready to buy and you can actually try them out (he has a good trial policy in case you don't like the bass).

There's a phone number on his site... if you are really interested in talking with him about a specific bass, give him a call!

7. Cool! I'm really looking forward to the hang. I've done some business with Dan (a Schroeder 1210 and my Stambaugh) and it's been a very pleasant experience. I have a feeling I will be coming back to Detroit with a Dozd :hyper:

8. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    And how's that for willpower? :p

9. Tell me about it. I actually hope I don't like them :help:

10. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Good luck with that :meh:

11. Can I actually order direct from Jerzy Drozd? Without going through a middle man?

That would be awsome, I just don't know if I could handle the wait!

Thanks for the info.

12. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    +1

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Dan's a great guy! I got to meet him through Chris Stambaugh at a couple of guitar shows and then at Namm a few years ago.

I know that Dan is expecting a Ken Lawrence 6 string soon. If he has it when you go Ken you've gotta try that one. I LOVE Ken Lawrence's basses.

14. You guys are going to get me into big trouble trying out all these beautiful basses! I've never played a Ken Lawrence before. I hope it's there. I think there might be one on the Groove Shoppe site, but I might have the name wrong.

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
  16. That's not a bass, that's furniture!! (but very nice though)

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ;)

Look up Jean Beaudin. It's his soon to be bass. He has a lot of ERB's in his stable, including a Conklin signature bass. That Ken Lawrence is by far my favorite. Way too many strings for me but it's just so beautiful.

18. Amazing! It makes my head spin!

19. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I know Dan pretty well, and have been giving him business for several years now. He's much more of a person-to-person kind of guy, and while he tries to respond to e-mails and keep his website up-to-date, it's always best to call him.

There are a lot of dealers and luthiers with top-notch customer service, but I promise you Dan is as good as the best of the best.

As far as ordering from Jerzy directly, you could try, but I highly doubt it would work. Jerzy has a distributor in the US (and other countries) for a reason - to focus on luthiery, as opposed to sales. My bet is Jerzy would refer you to LAG or dealers LAG works with to carry Jerzy's basses.

In terms of differences between the models, the differences are in hardware, number of laminates, neck-through vs. bolt-on, whether the body has a top, etc. The body shape is generally the same across all models, and the construction is flawless. I've played as many as two-dozen Jerzys in the past several years, and have never been more impressed with quality and consistency! :hyper:

My advice is to give Dan a call in the mid-to-late afternoon and talk to him. He'll impress you with his casual, yet professional attitude towards his business. Truly a great guy! :D