Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jerzy Drozd basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doryan, Aug 11, 2002.

1. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Jerzy basses are very cool...

check them out at http://www.luthiersaccessgroup.com.

I'm not sure there is a Jerzy distributor in belgium so you'll have to orer direct from spain or from LAG.

I'm not found of Krist and aries basses...

JP

2. They are very nice instruments. I played a few while in Chicago at LAG (www.luthiersaccessgroup).

Great workmanship, feel and sound. The neck was very similar to a Zon neck, but wooden, of course.

Jeff

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I thought the one I played was a very nice instrument. It was very well constructed, shallow neck profile, and wide string spacing.

It wasn't what I was looking for at the time, in terms of sound, but that's just me. I wouldn't hesitate to spend money on one at some point in the future.

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I've played several at Dan Leonard's LAG on the south side of Chicago. I was pretty impressed with the materials, design, craftsmanship, and feel. They are very solid basses with EXTREMELY low action...so low, in fact, that I found them a bid diffucult to play. Coming from an old school Fender guy, though, don't take that as a criticism. They definately have a "modern" sound and are designed to be used by "modern" players. These basses would be a slappers DREAM!!!! They also have a very unique (and good) look. I would recommend checking one out.

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    you didn't by any chance play around with that quilt/birdseye maple topped one did you? that bass looks pretty darn sweet, if i do say so mahownself. i also like the look of the one on their site with the all wenge neck....zebrano top and the bart X pickups. the site has been updated to reflect several new ones ready to ship from jerzy's shop in barcelona. nice addition.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Jerzy's have one of the highest drool factors of anything out there, as far as looks. If they play and sound like they look, I'll bet they are very special indeed!

7. I know nothing more than what I've read from jerzy's website and some magazines.. I just wanted to say I'm a fan of his basses, for me they are some of the most beautiful looking basses in the world..

8. Kelvin

Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    Singapore.
    I concur.

Low action with a modern sound is quite right.
    Bodies are on the small side, and neck heavy issues a la Warwick Thumb may be an issue.

9. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Almost mentioned this before, but Kelvin's comments touched on it a bit. I would consider Jerzy Drozd to be the "next" Warwick. When Warwick basses first came out, they all had original shapes, phat necks, and were made out of exotic hard woods that had never really been used in production basses before. They also featured a lot of unique innovations, such as the "just-a-nut" adjustable nut, inset bridge, pop-up battery compartment, angled turners, etc. The Jerzy basses aren't as revolutionary, but they definately aren't your average, "vanilla"-type of bass. Almost all of the hardware is custom made for the basses, which adds to the overall feel that everything about the instrument is working together in harmony. The necks are extremely flat, but the overall weight of the instruments are very solid and heavy...partyly due to the multilaminates and exotic hardwoods. Just a few more comments for those who are interested.

10. embellisher

Those are all nice features.

Alembic has been using adjustable brass nuts since the 70's.

I saw angled tuners before Warwicks came out, but I can't remember what maker. It was a boutique brand.

Maybe they did invent the popup battery compartment, I don't know about that one.

What do you mean by 'inset bridge'?

11. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Let's not get into a "I know more about the origin of bass hardware than you" here, Embellesher. :rolleyes: I'm sure that Ken Smith or Alembic or Carl Thompson used most "modern" construction techniques at one time or another before anyone else did...or who knows what some unknown guy did that was groundbreaking that we don't know about or have never heard of. I'm talking very generally here when I attribute those unique attributes to Warwick basses. For instance, how they countersink the stop tail piece of their bridge into the body, etc. I'm not a Warwick fan, and don' want to give credit where credit is not due, but the point is that I feel that the thread starter was asking about Jerzy basses, and I happen to feel that they are the "new" Warwicks.

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think those instruments look really nice. i wish there was a way to play a few of his 7's here in the states.

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    John,

Try looking on Luthier's Access Group's website at www.luthiersaccessgroup.com to see when they're having an "event" in your area or to see if there are any dealers who sell their line.

They're really great basses!

14. embellisher

Believe me, I am not trying to impress anybody with how much I know about basses or construction:rolleyes:, there are people here who know a lot more than I do. I just wanted to point out that a lot of Warwick's ideas were not original. And that is no criticism of Warwick, either. They took several little things that other makers had been doing and combined them all together to make a heck of a product.

I am a big fan of the early, hand made Warwick stuff. I think that it ranks right up there with anything ever built.

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i've met dan lennard at a few namm shows, he's a good guy. tried to get me to convert to a glock rig a few times. :D

16. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Jeff was merely pointing out that the "unique innovations" that you attributed to Warwick were neither unique, nor innovations. Do you always roll your eyes and accuse someone of one-upsmanship when they politely point out your errors?

17. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Obviously that didn't work...I wonder why...;)

18. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    No disrespect meant to Embellisher or geshel...just didn't want the thread to get hijacked by a "who invented what" discussion. After all, everyone knows that Warwick invented the "Streamer" body design and is due a huge copyright infringement settlement from Stuart Spector Design. :rolleyes:

Back on topic....RAM brings up an excellent point for those who don't live in the Chicago area and are interested in Jerzy basses. Dan doesn't do a LOT of guitar shows, but I do know that he travels a good distance from Chicago from time to time to attend guitar shows. He usually takes along a couple of amps/speaker cabs and will usually bring almost all of the basses he has in stock for people to try-and he really encourages people to work the instruments over pretty good. One of the fun parts about visiting Dan is the wrap-up session we usually do after all of the playing is over. He is genuinely interested in your thoughts/opinions/comments as a player, uses these to decide what basses to order, and sends the feedback to the luthiers so that they can improve their skills, etc.

19. embellisher

:D

Peace.