Jerzy Drozd, Carl Thompson, or Warrior?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by christos, Dec 13, 2000.

1. Help me out, all you low riders, I want to buy something exotic.....but I don't know what..... I brought it down to these 3:
    1 Jerzy Drozd
    2 Carl Thompson
    3 Warrior
    Anyone, with any experience of any of these, please feel free to comment..... I really need the advice.....

.......if you groove it,they will come.........

2. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Jerzy Drozd!!! no contest! they the coolest basses i have ever seen. I love those crazy lookin small bodies and that exotic wood!
  3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Dont even think about a Carl Thompson.
    Carl makes less than 8 basses a year, and are not "SOOOO" Great according to my uncle. (Not my personal experience)
    Warriors look really cool, and Spanish Jerzky Drodz are indeed amazing.
    Have you thought about a Fodera?
  4. membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    dude... check out an Elrick. I have a bolt on 6 that amazes me every time i pick it up. This is easily the absolute best bass i've ever played, and i've spent many an hour perusing my local shops. What's really cool is that rob elrick isn't very well known right now, so his basses arent terribly expensive (especially if you buy used!!) when one considers the quality. check out
  5. VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    I think you should test the basses before buying one to see what you like. Are you sure you don't want a Musicman or an American Fender, or a Pre-CBS fender?

6. Yeah Thanks soooo much for making my life so much ^#%$ing easier now.... I thought I was pretty much stuck on the Jerzy Drozd.....I ruled out Carl Thompson and Warrior after doing some research, but now this Elrick Company.....What am I going to do I am really diggin those styles.....with all sarcasm to the side I really do appeciate the referance and I am seriously going to look into those basses.....I said I want something exotic and you produced......thanks again
  7. I had a chance to play several JDs this summer when I was searching for a new 5 string. Great basses. Very modern tone with a very thin flat neck - very much like a Zon neck. The extended range fretless was amazing. I was close to ordering a Mastery 5 fretted. I think they are beautiful instruments.

I ended up getting a Sadowsky and have not had a single regret. Try and play as many basses as possible before you make your choice.
  8. oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Anyone have an estimate on the price of a 5 string obsession JD?
  9. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
  10. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I've had nothing but bad luck with the warrior customer service. I called to inquire about custom building a bass but they kept trying to push me to buy one of the basses that was already made. Then I asked them about the specifics of a used bass I had found on the net. I sent them the serial number and three pictures. They came back with all the wrong infomation. My guess is that they won't be there for you in the long run. I spoke to the owner and his assistants. They treated me badly.
  11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Oh My God! You're considering a Jerzy Drozd, among other things?! Geez, tough life! I would hate to be in your shoes! :rolleyes: To me, the Jerzy Drozd basses are just about the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I've been dreaming about those things since, like, 6th grade. Oh wow!
    Wow. Jerzy Drozd's inlays and all really are works of art. They truely are the "Bass as Art" manufacturer.
  12. I know that Matt Schmill (FBB) frequents this board and I don't want to be offensive. I'm sure the FBB basses sounds and play great (though I haven't had a chance to try one), but for me personally, aesthetically they are lacking, especially compared to some of the other suggestions in this thread. The hardware, electronics, and wood excellent, but for the most part the body and headstock shapes are pretty crude IMO. The workmanship and especially the price look good for a custon instrument though.
  13. slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
  14. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I'm not sure if we're focusing on looks or quality here, but I have to agree with the FBB recommendation. Frankly, I like the looks of the one I have, & I'm choosing the aesthetics of the one he's building for me, so I expect to like that one too. Can't do better than that!

The build quality is great, and you can customize most aspects of the bass. I say it doesn't get more exotic than going with an indie luthier.

He's running a blow-out clearance on some of his in-stock basses, check that link above for some great deals! I want #36, but I guess I'll have to settle for the custom he's building me...

Why is it that I'm compelled to design my next one before this one is even finished yet?

well, that link up there doesn't seem to work, so check his sale here:

PS, I haven't played a JD, CT or Warrior yet; I'm not comparing brands, I'm just saying check out Matt's work for some good deals.
  15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I doubt he's still looking into things...look at the date of the original post.
  16. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    heh, I got sucked into the frenzy...
    still, he could be indecisive.
  17. stringray 5 all the way dude :p