1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jerzy Drozd vs. MTD USA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tony G, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I'm taking a good hard look at Tom Bowlus's Jerzy Drozd in the classifieds, and was wondering what those of you that have had the chance to play both an MTD and Jerzy Drozd think about either? The Jerzy's have always caught my eye, but since I live so close to Mike Tobias's shop, and considering Jerzy lives in Spain, I'm haven't pulled the trigger yet. As a lot of you know, my MTD has a Mahogany body, burl maple top, maple neck, and rosewood fingerboard. Tom's Excellency in the classifieds has a spalted maple top, Etimoe body, maple neck, and ebony fretboard.

First off, what is etimoe? It looks a lot like mahogany, but does it sound anything like it tonally? I'm looking for something more snappy and punchy, like ash, and not as dark, round and airy as mahogany. Second, anyone know what the string spacing is on the Excellency's?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Tom's Jerzy Drozd Excellency V..............My MTD 635-24

E_V_Maple1. ..................... MTDfront1c.

3. If you're likin' MTDs, what about Adrian Garcia's MTD 6 string he had on the board - I think he had a crotch walnut top with an ash back and maple board. Might give you a little more "snap" with some roundness built in.

Just a thought....

Personally, going from a 6 to 5 would kill me - in fact, it did at an audition....had to use the bass of the current bass player at it - had tight string spacing and flatwounds too.

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Well, a little bird told me that the neck on Jerzy Drozd's are really chunky, so that kind of killed the deal for me. That was quick...:D

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I almost bought that one, seriously....but the Ptidwell pulled the trigger on it. If it ever, ever comes up for sale again, I will jump on it.

6. Warwicks are the same feel for me...if I wanted a bat, I'd be playing baseball instead of bass....

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Tom described it as a flattened D so that doesnt sound too chunky to me.

8. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I had a Corvette 5'er for a while, and when grooving down low for a while, my hand would just start to cramp up. I thought I would get used to it, but I never did.

9. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    I've played Tom's Drozd and I had one myself before I got my MTD (from Tom!)

I think that Jerzy Drozd basses are the best constructed out there in terms of fit/finish. It's hard to describe, and you'll have to see one in person, but the attention to detail on those basses is unmatched. The fretwork, wood carving, etc. are all amazing.

In terms of tone, etimoe sounds to me more like a mix of ash and alder than mohogany. It has a swamp ash like bite, which is smoothed out a little like alder. (Admittedly it isn't fair for me to compare because I've only seen etimoe on Drozd basses, so this may be more of a Drozd characteristic than etimoe.)

Drozd basses are VERY clear sounding - you could play chords up and down the neck without hearing any mud at all. The Aguilar pre in them is quite versatile, you can go from a bright modern sound to a more J-like grind with ease.

It's hard to compare to an MTD, because at this level we're talking about different flavors of "good". MTD basses have a wide degree of variance within themselves depending on the wood combo, which makes it even harder for me to make a suggestion for you. I still think you should check out some other MTD wood combos before you part with yours, just to see if something else may speak to you a bit more.

10. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I would not describe those necks as chunky at all...the profile is a bit unique though.

11. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I very much agree here, and no, I would never get rid of my 635 untill I found something else that fit me better. That may never happen though. :D

12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Unique how?

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    That Drozd looks abosolutely beautiful!

14. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    i like the MTD better than Drozd , partly because they don't look like something else crossed with a warwick.( To me!!!)
    But mostly I prefer the feel and sound of the MTDs I tried over the Drozd instruments I have had the chance to try.
    The overall built quality was good on both , but again I 'd say the MTDs had the edge, well it was a bit more than "an edge" to be honest.
    I am referring to the American MTDs!

15. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    It's like a flattened "C" profile. Front to back it isn't chunky at all, but the radius is small, so it would be chunky if it weren't for the flattened profile.

16. I own a Jerzy six-string and I've played half a dozen MTD 635s. Both are truly excellent instruments, but the deal breaker for me was the comparatively chunky neck on the MTD six-strings; the Jerzy Drozd neck is much flatter. Both have an asymmetrical profile, but the Jerzy fits my medium sized hand perfectly, whereas I found the MTD way too bulky and thick for my tastes.

Another Jerzy neck feature is an extremely slippery fine satin finish. It's downright frictionless with no hint of stickiness when things get sweaty. The MTD neck finish is nice too, but nowhere near as slick as Jerzy's.

JDL009sm.

17. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    That Jerzy even looks nice to play!

18. +1... like a really big PBass neck, but with the back of the 'C' flattened, like the picture above. It's a big chunk of wood, but it feels good once you get used to it, and as Vision states, that flattening really reduces the impact of all that wood.

I've never played either of the sixes, but the 5 string Jerzy neck profile feels massive to me compared to the relatively recent MTD very thin and very flat neck profile (especially at the nut). The older MTD's seem to have more of a C profile up toward the nut, versus the very flat back of neck profiles of the newer ones.

That being said, the Drozd's play great, and once you get used to the neck, it's smooth as silk.

19. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    Michael Tobias' stuff is in a league of its own. The Drozd stuff I played looked really nice, but played and sounded like a million other boutique basses out there; not terribly exceptional. The ones I played were heavy, not set up terribly well (and this was at his booth at the NAMM show), were uncomfortable, some had noisy electronics, and some were not finished very well, and all of them had big rounded uncomfortable neck profiles. Perhaps he's improved in the 2 years since, sounds like he's doing the assymetrical thing now (who thought of that...) but he would have a lot of catching up to do compared to the MTD's I've played and owned. If I had 4 or 5 MTD's to suit my every bass need I might get a Drozd, just for a style thing; from a purely instumental standpoint, there's nothing like an MTD.

Cheers,
    Cameron

20. How can you not just say yes to a pair like that, Those basses look perfect next to eachother.