Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jerzy Drozd

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RAM, Sep 14, 2002.

1. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I got to try 4 Jerzy Drozd basses today. Two were neck through, two were bolt-on. One of each was a 34" scale, one of each was a 35" scale. One of the neck throughs had M series (side-by-side) humbuckers, the other 3 had X series (shaped like J pickups) humbuckers. 3 had zebra wood tops, one had a maple top. 3 had maple necks, one had a wenge neck.

In short, all 4 were some of the nicest basses I've come across! The fit and finish was world class! In fact, on the bass with the wenge neck (3 pieces), Dan Lendard and I looked for about 5 minutes, arguing over where the seams were in the 3 different laminates!!!

The low B on the 34" basses was phenomenal! The low B on the 35" basses was slightly better. How much better? So little that I bet some wouldn't notice a difference! I remember a thread arguing how much difference it makes and the answer was something like 0.3% or something like that...I'd agree that's accurate. In fact, the only reason I probably noticed it was because I was playing through a loud Glockenklang rig (set flat, of course). So, to summarize, the scale length makes a difference, but barely.

Bolt-on vs. neck through makes more of a difference. The bolt-ons had less finess but more definition. I guess that's what the claims tend to lean towards. Was either bad? Nope. In fact, I loved 'em both!

Okay, that aside, in looking fairly closely at all 4 basses, I noticed consistency, attention to detail, and what appeared to be finely crafted instruments! The wood selections are incredible. The maple top didn't have as much figuring as you might like in a bass, but I found it to be an attractive figuring, nonetheless. It was sort of quilt, sort of flame. The other 3 had zebrawood tops, 2 of a lighter variety, the other of a darker variety.

The body woods were Etimoe on the newer models, walnut on the older model. They sounded similar. The necks are extremely shallow...among the shallowest profiles I've seen! However, they felt ROCK solid! There was no movement, whatsoever! The number of truss rods, location of truss rod adjusters, and the number of graphite stiffening rods differs from model to model. Quite frankly, the bolt-ons seemed just as solid as the neck throughs.

I only played the basses set flat, adjusting no knobs on purpose. They all featured Bartolini pickups and electronics. I'll pay more attention to how much tonal flexibility there is at a later date, should I decide to buy one. But, Barts tend to be very flexible, and there are a lot of electronics options Jerzy Drozd allows you to choose from.

The downside? Neck dive. It does balance okay, but definitely likes to sit in its own position. Fortunately, if you order a bass, you can easily customize things that might eliminate neck dive...longer upper horn? Not a problem! Still, it won't deter me.

Interestingly, these are largely custom-order instruments. Dan would be happy selling directly from his inventory, but they say they'd prefer you pick out exactly what you want and order it from there. He says delivery time tends to be 4 to 6 months, depending on the model. The Basic would be towards the shorter end of the spectrum, etc...

Other things I really liked about these basses is that little features such as wooden knobs are standard on some models, as is an Ebony nut, as is his own 2-piece bridge.

All-in-all, it's a custom feel instrument that feels and sounds like any of the best basses I've ever seen...better than most!:D

2. Good review! I agree - they are great basses.

Thanks!
    Jeff

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm drooling over the Basic 5 that is on the Drozd website. That one specifically, too, not some variation.

I'd LOVE to try one. If only Gard and the boys would carry a few of them...

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, there are ways to try 'em, but it can be costly...Luthier's Access Group has a "Try Before You Buy (TBYB) program. All you have to do is pay for the bass up front. All your money's refunded if you return it in the same condition, though, which is a good thing.

If you like shallow neck profiles (which I'd think most people do), you'd LOVE this bass! It KILLS!!!:D