Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jerzy Drozd?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassdude63, Jan 14, 2003.

1. bassdude63

bassdude63 Member

Jan 5, 2003
    I've never heard of Jerzy Drozd basses. I see in your profile you once owned a Modulus-you could'nt hear the difference in it's B-string from let's say that of a Stingray-5's? Amazing! I'm going to see if I can take a look at Jerzy Drozd's website.

Don't count the Cubs out. Dusty is a great Manager, if they get the right players around him, the Cubs will be competitive in a few seasons.

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    lost your thread/forum?

check out drozd's website, oh dear lord, you will NOT be disappointed...they are some real lookers...and play/sound great as well, from what i understand. i would like to try one out myself

3. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
  4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Not to steal anyone's thunder, but I may be the first owner...I just put a deposit on this one last week...

[​IMG]

One thing I'll mention about this bass is that before it was shipped to the US, Jerzy made a few modifications...there are now 3 switches on the bass: 2 are coil taps so I'll be able to operate either soapbar as a jazz p/u. The third switch is a 3-band mid-selector (250 Hz, 500 Hz, and 800 Hz).:D

And, how does it sound? Well, let's just say it beat out American Spectors (which I own one already), Elrick (which I fell in love with VERY quickly), MTD (which I also adore!!!), Fodera, Wal, Alembic, Roscoe (No thanks to Gard;)), Stambaugh, Vadim (who deserves more recognition), Chris Larkin, and even Kenneth Lawrence.

The Jerzy has such nice touches as an Ebony fretboard, an Ebony nut, recessed hardware, recessed MAPLE knobs, and FLAWLESS craftsmanship!!!:D

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    1. I've been a Cubs fan forever. But, I've also come to believe they're incapable of winning a pennant anymore, and definitely incapable of stringing together 2 consecutive winning seasons.

2. I owned a Modulus Quantum for about 1-1/2 years. It was a 4-string. But, I've played some 5's and 6's by Modulus.

As far as scale length goes, the 34" scale on the Jerzy I put a deposit down on has a better "B" string than some 36" scale basses I've played (Elrick is one that comes to mind)! I've played 4 Foderas in my life and they didn't have the same great "B" string at 35" inches as other basses I've played.

Now...let's look closer at the Jerzy Drozd basses I played on one fateful Sunday afternoon. There were 4 of 'em...2 were 34" scales, 2 were 35". 2 were bolt-on, 2 were neck-through. 3 had maple necks, while one had a wenge neck. 3 had jazz pickups while 1 had soapbars. 3 basses had a zebrawood top, while 1 had a maple top. All had the same preamp. All basses were made by Jerzy (who doesn't use apprentices). All basses had the same body style. In other words, a perfect cross-section. The component that I noticed made no tonal difference...the SINGLE component that seemed to make ZERO difference in tone of ANY string, was the 34" scale length vs. the 35".

I am not a fan of Music Man basses, and therefore have never played a 5-string. But, I'll contend it's unfair to compare a 35" graphite neck bass to a 34" maple neck bass made by a different manufacturer under different conditions with different electronics, different woodworking skills, and maybe even different technologies.

Bass Player Magazine did a review in 1994 of a 5-string SSD bass with a 34" scale, and said it was one of the best "B" strings they'd ever heard, for ANY length. Spector (now that he's gotten the trademark back) makes a 35" scale 5-string. I played one once. I thought the "B" was terrible. Why is it that the low "B" on the 34" was so great for Bass Player but so bad when I played it?

I honestly believe (and know for a fact that many 'round here agree), that the extra inch on scale length has more to do as a marketing gimmick than it does in physics.