1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jess Loureiro bass pickups: how did they sound to you?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Snaxster, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    If you ever played Jess Loureiro bass pickups, or you ever heard them played, please post here to say what you thought of them.

To be clear: I know that vintage construction and sound plus quality and value for money are the basic selling points for Jess Loureiro's pickups. My interest is in firsthand accounts of their sound and feel.

Thank you!

Snaxster

Albert Vickers likes this.
  2. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Incoming: Jess Loureiro J bass pickups set (FormVar) and split coil P bass pickup (plain enamel).

Eventually I will post reviews. I'm looking forward to playing these!

3. lukiluk

lukiluk

Oct 12, 2012
    Torino,Italy
    Have you received the pickups?
    How does they sound?

4. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Ciao, lukiluk. Yes, I did receive the Jess Loureiro pickups. But I did not install any of them yet.

Believe me: I want to hear these pickups as much as you want to hear my opinion of them. ;) Soon! And I promise to post reviews of them here.

lukiluk likes this.
  5. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    I have a P & J combo in an old Charvel JP. I really like them. They're articulate and clear without sacrificing warmth. Output is good. I have them going into a Noll TCM3 preamp and they sound great through that. I can also run them passive with a regular tone control with this preamp and they sound just fine passive too. I have no intention of changing them. Jess is a great guy to deal with, too.

cha_1.

MattZilla, PawleeP and Snaxster like this.
  6. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Doctor J! Hello, and thank you. :thumbsup:

7. sideFX

sideFX

Feb 14, 2013
    38.02 N , 23.69 E
    Bump, I'm interested in Jess P pup as well, have you installed them @Snaxster ??

8. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. Sadly I never did install my Loureiro P or J pickups yet. It has been a while, hasn't it? :bag: Within the next week or two, I will install the P pickup at least, then report here. Thanks for the reminder. :D

9. sideFX

sideFX

Feb 14, 2013
    38.02 N , 23.69 E
    Thanks for the heads up, subbed & waiting for your impressions! :)

10. I've got a Jess Louriero pickup in my single coil P-Bass. It sounds great!!! Previously I had a Seymour Duncan quarter pounder in there. The SD unit was a good unit, but it didn't allow the natural sound of the instrument to come through (I'd fitted it after the original pickup gave up the ghost). The Louriero pickup sounds far more natural. I'm really happy with the sound.

20130817_193800.
    20170212_173010.

Dark Horse, okabass, Isotonic and 3 others like this.
  11. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Update: Recently I bought more pickups from Jess Loureiro. But now I will divest all my Jess Loureiro pickups, even though I never played any of them. This is why:

About a year ago, I wrote Jess with pre-sales questions. He replied quickly, and in a couple of turns we arranged the order. The pickups arrived from him a few weeks later. They looked fine. I wrote Jess with some positive comments. He never replied.

Almost a year after that first order, I started planning a new bass guitar project. Jess was one of only a few makers I knew of who produced hand wound versions of the type of pickup I was considering for that bass, and the only one who made them with a type of coil wire that interested me most. I wrote him about it. He replied quickly with new info about a revised version of his pickups. In a couple of turns we arranged the order for the old and new versions, so I could compare them. The pickups arrived from him a few weeks later. They looked fine. I wrote Jess with positive comments and a concise technical question (about the wiring scheme). He never replied.​

Since the two instances are about one year apart, I have to say that Jess Loureiro has a definite modus operandi: perfect pre-sales correspondence, then perfect order fulfillment, followed by a complete refusal to communicate further about that order.

Probably if I reported to Jess a problem with any of his pickups, he would reply and try to correct it. But that isn't my point. I am used to independent makers (that is, just one guy making stuff) being internalized, asocial, or whatever, and therefore short on words. Terse communication is okay. However, non-communication even to the point of no customer service is not okay.

Jess Loureiro received my money and in return delivered to me in time the products he promised. I have no complaint about that. But for his refusal to provide the least customer service (I mean, my last question was such that potentially he could have given me a thorough answer of only one word) disqualifies his work from inclusion in the instruments I own, play, record, and also document online.

I wish Jess good luck, but I will not play his pickups.

Laurent, PawleeP and Yahboy like this.
  12. In case their is any future interest in Jess's work I can confirm I have both 51 P Bass Type single coil custom wound and Split 60's type P Bass pups which were custom wound. He is a hard working perfectionist when it come to building but like Snaxter I found if I didn't get it all said in the pre purchase I would not get a chance later for after sales chat or technical revision!
    Having lived in Spain 22 years plus I am not surprised, and there is nothing racist in my comments. But there is a certain point in many areas where this experience is common living here in Spain. But in his defense I will say that Jess has become big business very quickly and like 90% of fountains you see in villages and towns all over Spain. Everyone wants a fountain in their pueblo, but no one want to maintain them. So they end up as flower planters! Jess has grown to quickly and not learnt the value of holding hands with his clients. JESS, It is though a crap way to run a business and I tend to use Michael Mohr an American 'faceBook' and he makes some very funky pups all hand wound. He is a nice human being with a substantial knowledge of most genre and is he don't understand what my London mind is jabbering about he can be great at filing in the spaces and never reacts badly if you have issues. He is always gracious and helpful! Jess are you hearing this?

Snaxster likes this.
  13. Five String

Five String Supporting Member

I just got and installed a '51 single coil from Jess and I could not be happier. Very rich, full, precise, complex sound. One of if not the best pickups on any bass I have ever owned including Ibanez, Peavey, and Fender instruments. I will be seeking a modern precision pickup from him at some point. Right now I am thoroughly enjoying my purchase.

14. His Quarter Pound strat pickup looks interesting. But he doesn't list any specs unless I'm missing it.

15. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
  16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

A set once wen through my hands. I installed it on a japanese Westone. The set sounded surprisingly similar to the stock pickups, shiny but not really bright, well articulated and deep.
    It was so similar actually that I put the stock pair back on and sold them.

17. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    Have experienced same thing with several suppliers, pickup makers & bass builders too. not good.. glad you put the condition into words.. p

18. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    Have experienced same thing with several suppliers, pickup makers & bass builders too. not good.. glad you put the condition into words.. p

19. Isotonic

Isotonic

Oct 19, 2011
    Round Rock TX
    I don't understand the beef. You pay for pickup, he delivers. Sounds reasonable to me. Beyond that, lot's of really talented people are very introverted. Not chatty, and really, not capable of being chatty. It's not personal. Buying a pickup from someone doesn't give you the right to remold their natural selves to your liking.

It's possible that your concise technical questions crossed his border into the realm of intellectual property. That is an unreasonable and presumptuous expectation. If you find it off-putting then I can understand seeking sonic collaboration elsewhere, but to make a public statement and try to enlist others to not use his services, to not give him business. That crosses the border to hatred. Especially when others climb aboard and start making sweeping generalizations and judgement of Spaniards based on fountains in villages.

Somebody please shut this thread down.

kodiakblair, MattZilla and Basvarken like this.
  20. Laurent

Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I am siding with Snaxter and the group expecting customer service on this one.
    I've dealt with Lollar, Aguilar and DiMarzio and they've always responded to my questions. In fact they were very helpful.
    I would even give an extra service star to DiMarzio who really do an exceptional job.
    Maybe it's cultural in the case of the Spanish company but I will support with my dollars the people who respond to emails.

PawleeP likes this.