1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jessica by the Allman Brothers

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Has anyone tackled this one yet. I'm sure some have. I have the grueling task of learning this song this week. The problem is that the bass is set very low in the mix. Any body have any information on the bass lines of this song. I guess the first thing I'm gonna look for is the first few seconds. I hear a repeating line that sounds like it may be a Major Pentatonic. Am I right?

HELP!:(

2. anonymous073020131

anonymous073020131 Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    Yeah, I just listened to the Live At Fillmore East version (which I reccomend- the bass is very audible with some decent headphones). The main riff does sound like a major pentatonic, but Berry's got some sweet fills and flourishes in there, at least in the Fillmore East version. So check that out and best of luck.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  4. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    "Fillmore East" Version?

5. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    it is a minor penatonic in A

6. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    There's a complete transcription (notation and tab) in the bass tab white pages book. It's an easy line, you'll be fine. Good luck!

7. jweiss

jweiss Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Park City, Utah
    I transcribed this a few weeks ago. Pm me your email if you want it and I'll send it when I get home from work.

8. Shovelbone

Shovelbone Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Yonderville Georgia
    Jessica is off of the Brothers and Sisters album which was being recorded when the untimely death of Berry Oakley occurred. Berry Oakley is only credited with playing on two of the tracks and the remaining tracks were done by replacement bassist Lamar Williams.

9. jweiss

jweiss Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Park City, Utah
    Yes, most of the bass line is a major pentatonic riff.

Cheers,

Jeff

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I never really considered it as a Major Pentatonic riff.
    I have only played "Jessica" once with a live band...I do recall the tempo being pretty quick. The chromatic hits need to be tight, too.

11. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    Hey, you might want to check out this version of Jessica.

It's slower than the original version and they show a good many shots of Allen Woody.

I would think this would be a good version to practice on.

Good luck

12. I've done Jessica with a couple of smokin blues/southern rock bands I was with. Get the basics down and have some fun, it's a jam dammit. Besides, everyone only listens to the guitars anyways...:bag:

13. ill check my geetar rags......i have the tune but im not sure if its a bass line included issue

14. anonymous073020131

anonymous073020131 Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    My bad- it was a live version I had is from the "Essential Allman Brothers Band: The Epic Years". But yeah, sounds like a major pentatonic.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Dug out a score I had tucked away-
    After the intro, I'm seeing-
    lA_ -B C#E F#AlAA_ E_E F#El
    2-bar Rhythm would be-
    l1_-&3&4&l1&_&_&4&l

Bridge/Change-
    G__G D__DlG__G D_ G_lA__A E__ElC#_E_A_C#El
    l1__&3__&l1__&3_4_l1__&3__&l1_2_3_4&l

...etc.

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The time I played it was a feature for the keyboardist. A local legend/monster...there are very raw youtube vids of him playing with a then-teenaged Shawn Lane.

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I was in a Acoustic Alchemy style band that did this song. I hated it but grew to 'like' it. It can be a little bit tricky but if you're competent you'll get it. Also, as mentioned, that chromatic run has to be on point or it'll suck for sure!

18. jrklmx(Andrew)

jrklmx(Andrew)

Mar 31, 2009
    I just listened to The Allman Brothers this morning and the bassist's playing on this track is amazing. Just try to get the changes and main riff down. I saw him on youtube playing with a pick. Try playing with a pick because your fingers might get tired playing 3/4 through the song.

19. Thank You for posting this. Anytime I get to see Allen Woody play is a treat.

20. jweiss

jweiss Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Park City, Utah
    That's definitely the Quaalude version!