Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jessica Williams - Live at Yoshi's (Vol. 1)

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Wil Davis, Mar 26, 2005.

1. I've just been listening to this CD - what a great sound! Fine playing by Ray Drummond (double-bass) and Victor Lewis (drums). Jessica Williams' playing is so tasteful - at the risk of being burned alive, I would venture to say she plays Monk better than Monk (although I don't think she moves around as much… :) ). I think her version of "Alone Together" is one of the best I've heard in a long time. A fine live recording, and a wonderful example which demonstrates that often less is more. I can't wait for Vol. 2!

- Wil

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Check out her website, she's got a great (long) NPR interview with Terry Gross. Lots of playing on it.

She's coming to a festival I'm playing in August; hope to get some playing time with her.

3. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Yeah, she really plays with balls... :bag:

Seriously though, I dig her stuff. Check her out on the last Leroy Vinnegar recording. She is really swinging. Love her solo on Sunny Side of the Street.

4. Be careful Marcus.....she might break your arm....
    There's a story in San Francisco that some jerk from the audience was messin' with her......story goes, Jessica broke his arm! I love it!
    Please don't tell her she plays good for a girl..... :eek:
    I love her playing!

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Hah!...I remember meeting her many years ago....helluva handshake. Very nice lady.

Seriously, if you get some time to check out the NPR interview, do so. There's a lot of interesting info on the hows and whys of what she plays. Very cool if you're at all into jazz piano.