No longer available Jessup Hiwatt DR-103 Tube Preamp

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by themeanreds, Aug 17, 2019.

1. themeanreds

themeanreds Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Price:
    $285
    IMG_7484.JPG

Jessup Hiwatt DR-103 Standalone Tube Guitar Preamp
    Excellent condition, works perfectly
    I have had a few Jessup preamps; he does incredible work. I settled on his Model T preamp, though the DR103 pre is also amazing. I have a lot of experience playing through Hiwatt DRs ad similar (Ceriatone clone, Sound City stuff), and the Jessup DR103 preamp comes as close to plugging into a DR103 as one can get without having an actual Hiwatt power section behind it. I used it through the effects loop return (straight into the power amp) of an Ampeg Micro VR head, and direct into thr aux input of practice amp when at home, and it rules. Depending on the player and rig, it can ring like a piano, or grind like a guitar is about to be smashed over it. The EQ controls interact with one another just like an original Hiwatt, and there are 4 inputs (Hi + Low for the Brilliant channel, same for the Normal) that can be jumped.

Jessup's description:
    This is the exact circuit found in the vintage Hiwatt DR-103 Pre Amp and retains the same tonal characteristics as the original Hiwatt pre amp. Since this is just the preamp it may be used before amps in a pedal chain, in a FX loop, into a power amp, or direct for recording or re-amping.
    All NOS or high quality capacitors are used in these. The pre amp circuit runs off of a B+ voltage of 300+ volts, just like the original. Also utilizes two 12ax7 tube in the pre amp section.
    Controls are as follows NORMAL, BRILLIANCE, MIDDLE, TREBLE and BASS (The version I am selling also has a Master Volume. Also, please note that there is no Presence control, as such is part of an amp's power section)
    The enclosure size is about 2 x 5 x 7in.

$285/shipped

Trades:
    Big Game Pedals Cvlt
    Bigsound/Smallsound F*ck, Mini
    Earthquaker Plumes
    KHDK Ghoul Jr.
    JHS Kilt V2
    Walrus Fathom or SLO
    Maxon OD808X or OD808
    Arc Soothsayer
    Electronic Audio Experiments Mu Blaster
    Fuzzrocious Demon, Playing Mantis
    Decent Precision Bass Pickup and/or Jazz Bass Bridge Pickup (Fender, Duncan, Dimarzio, etc.)
    IMG_7487.JPG IMG_7486.JPG

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    emblymouse, donahue and e-flat like this.
  2. donahue

donahue Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Jessup is building me a Hiwatt preamp right now and I'm on week 9 of waiting. Jump on this to avoid a potential substantial wait time! Very tempting! GLWTS

3. themeanreds

themeanreds Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Be very stoked! dude knows what he is doing.

4. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    I would love to hear this. I took a chance on his Sunn 2000S pre and it is heaven!

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021