Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jesus Christ Superstar 1973 movie soundtrack... who played bass??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by cowsgomoo, Sep 5, 2005.

1. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    i've just been listening to 'What's The Buzz' from the soundtrack album and it's pretty darn funky... does anyone know who played the bass on this album??

2. Garry Cribb, Steve Pearce, and Andy Pask shared bass duties

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Alan Spenner?

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

Right on! The soundtrack uses the music from the original 1969 recordings, which has Alan Spenner on bass(I checked the inside of the CD label)

I believe there were several versions over the years, but IMHO the 1969 recordings were the best. These have the brown covers, with yellow figures on it. :hyper:

5. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    I was just learning what's that buzz a while ago, playing bass in a production in december. It's certainly challenging, but fun. Andrew Lloyd Webber Is Nuts.

6. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Great Bassist, very underated. He did some great work with Roxy Music in the eighties, album "Flesh and Blood"

7. slrae

slrae Guest

Aug 17, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    JCS just played here in St. Louis in July at the Muny and it was great. I'm a fan of the film and Ted Neely but this production gave them a run for their money. I wish I could have that version on CD or DVD. I've had 'Overture' in my head ever since. It makes me wish I would have learned to read music, now I'm too lazy. LOL If only they would score it with tabs instead! :D

8. I got to play bass for the school production of this in my senior year. So much fun to play "Overture" and "What's the Buzz?" "Gethsemane" really kicked my @$$. And during the Crucificton, the music said "free jazz, play anything" :rolleyes: but believe me, I had some fun in that section!