Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jesus Christ Superstar

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Tage, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Tage

Tage

Sep 17, 2003
    Does anyone know where I could find the tablature or sheet music for the bass section of the Movie Soundtrack version of "Superstar" from Jesus Christ Superstar?

Thanks!

2. Cerpin Taxt

Cerpin Taxt

Jun 12, 2005
    You know, I would love to see if anyone has these. When I first started playing bass, this soundstrack was the very first thing I began trying to play along with. Ironicially, I've since become an atheist.

3. the bass is quite nice on that cd...

depends on the version though, the movie version will be different from an original broadway cast version or studio version...as the bassist differs(there's one where gary king(unknown player played on grover washington's mr magic) plays I think, that one is imo the best for the bass parts...)

however, no integral tabs for it, you CAN find the chords for all the songs on google

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Gary King is not unknown!

...don't believe that's him on either JCS version, either.
    A previous thread(probably 2-3 years old now) here at TB had more info.

I have both the Original Cast + the Movie Sound Track...I like 'em both.

5. well as i was searching for the jcs bassist for my cd, he came up

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Alan Spenner is the bassist the Talk Bass crowd seems to most agree on.
    IIRC, Spenner played in Roxy MUsic.

7. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I'm in a group doing Superstar right now. The music is available from Rodgers & Hammerstein Theatre Library, (800) 400-8160 or (212) 564-4000.

The book I got (Electric Bass Guitar) is fairly accurate on a lot of cool lines from the original (brown cover album) edition. I always enjoyed this from when I bought it back in '69 or whenever it came out, and I have even more respect for the playing now.

8. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    it's one of those timeless things, always modern, constantly growing and adapting. it's great.

i know gethsemane and overture bass are available at www.powertabs.net