1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jesus Christ Superstar

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by tekhna, Jun 19, 2007.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    So I am wondering more about the bass work. It's fantastic, both the playing and the tone. I had a chance to play in the pit for JC and it was a ton of fun (glad I kept a copy of the sheet music!) but I am wondering about who played on the recordings. Also the equipment. It sounds like a jazz with flats, but I could be wrong.
    Damned for All Time/Blood Money just flat out rocks, same with Simon Zealotes, and well, really just all of Judas' tunes.
    King Herod's song was way too much fun to play too.

2. Alan Spenner, on my recording.

3. when i watched the movie last year i was struck by the bass tone. nice!

4. polo515

polo515

Feb 27, 2006
    NYC
    Alan Spenner, who was the bassist for Joe Cocker's Grease Band. Alan played a Precision. As a teenager, I hung out with these guys through a mutual friend. Alan was low key, friendly and a solid bass player. This was a great band...guitarist Henry McCulloch went on to Wing's with McCartney and keyboardist Chris Stainton's credits would fill this page. Most recently I saw him with Eric Clapton this past year. I believe Alan passed away quite a few years ago.

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    JCS was teh most fun I have had playing a show. Great bass stuff - and music in general.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021