1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jet buffing machine with stand - buffing discs?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rodent, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    I have the opportunity to get one of these at 'giveaway' prices

41WC1TXGFEL._SS500_.

for those who do sprayed finishes, what kind of buffing wheels are you using and at what speed? obviously this would be an excellent tool for use with an inflatable drum (as seen on the right side) ... but it also appears that this would be a good tool for setting up with buffing wheels to polish sprayed (and oil) finishes

with its 5/8" arbor (left side), I could easily utilize wheels like these from LMI

[​IMG]
    http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?CategoryName=Buffing&NameProdHeader=Buffing+Supplies

or maybe this package from Woodcraft
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=2036&mode=details#tabs

the Woodcraft wheels look like they need to screw into a threaded shaft, so I'm guessing (based on the little info I can see from the image and avi) these wouldn't work

any thoughts from those who use one of these (or something similar)?

all the best,

R

2. I use the stewmac kit, so whatever wheels that has, that's what I use. They work very well.

I would be scared to use such a powerful machine with direct drive since the danger of buffing through a finish is very real. I like the fact that the stewmac buffing arbor is belt driven, so I used a relatively small 1/2 hp motor and left the belt loose so that if I push too hard I actually stop the wheels, this keeps the danger very low. Also, what RPM is that Jet machine? I have my set up running at 2:1 which brings it down to 900 rpm, which ALSO helps keep the danger at a minimum. Another thing is, can you mount the buffing wheels on both sides of the machine? switching wheels is a PITA so I just keep the Med and Fine wheels on all the time. When I'm done, I just hang the assembly on the wall.

3. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    according to the specs it's 1725 RPM - exactly what is recommended for the smaller diameter Woodcraft buffing set, but twice the speed recommended for the StewMac kit

yes, you can mount to both arbors ... and it includes all the adapter sleeves to mount from 5/8" thru to 1"

I'm wondering ... if the speed is an issue, would it be possible to install some kind of speed control like is common to use with routers and other motors. any thoughts?

all the best,

R

4. those speed controls are for universal motors (brushes) and a machine this size uses induction motors. Speed controlling induction motors is not easy (or cheap) and will probably cost a few times what the machine costs. Btw, this machine is fine! you just have to be very careful, especially in the first few buffing sessions. I'd say GO FOR IT!

5. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    nothing involving power tools is ever simple or inexpensive is it :rollno:

made the call ...

now I have a great tool to buff those wooden knobs I'll be making (see mini lathe thread) in the apartment while I wait for our relocation to be complete

:bag:

all the best,

R

6. amen, brother. not inexpensive in $$$ or time. Just spent the whole weekend 'fixing' my new osc edge sander that was damaged during shipping and wouldn't track. Had to shim the motor to make it work right ...not easy when you don't have anyone to help you keep all these heavy stuff aligned!

7. Easy...but not cheap, but not that expensive either (a few hundred $)..... speed control can be effectively done on an induction motor with a small variable speed drive..one unit I've used recently on a small drive here at work was a Hitachi SJ100....a very cool unit...although it is 3phase to 3phase...but you can get single phase to 3phase units...operating an induction motor 3phase is really the way to go..