Jet - the band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by soundoholic, Sep 15, 2004.

1. They have very catchy songs and they have a good drummer.

But they rip good music off. Here is one I just found.

Listen to that "roll over DJ" song of theirs and then listen to "Taking Care of Business". Same guitar part.

I like them, I just think they are reaching into the wallets of giants.
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    This has been discussed before - try doing a search for Jet.

Summary of past discussions:

1) If you like them, buy their records.

2) If you like their influences, buy the records of their influences.

3) If you like both Jet and their influences, buy the records of both Jet and their influences.

4) If you don't like them, don't buy their records.

5) Lots of musicians rip of lots off other musicians - its something you learn to deal with.

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    so something that hasnt been talked about, theyre comming to sydney, you going to see them mark?
  4. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Nah not my can see me at In Flames though \M/

5. Jet and The Living End are the 2 best live bands i've ever seen. Frenzal Rhomb comes in a close 3rd.
    When I saw Metallica, (twice may I add) they sucked ass IMO...
  6. I really thought their song "all over him" was kinda weak, yet the girl lead singer was kinda cute. "Rocket2 You" was cool tho.

7. :hyper:
  8. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I like "Jet" .... I don't give a ***t if they are derivative.
    Some of their tracks sound like early "Who", and since "The Who" won't be making too many more records I don't mind if "Jet" do!
    Gotta be better than endless Britney Spears etc stuff on the radio!

Oh..... their bass player is pretty good imho.
  9. Aren't they technically "JET!"?

First of all, the chords may be the same, but the riffs are nowhere even close.

Secondly, the 3 chord progression, guitar-bass-drums pop/rock song is around 50 years old, and 12 note choices of where you're going to start your progression. Someone, somewhere is going to overlap and come up with the same rhythm and the same chords- it's just a law of probability.

Just enjoy the music for what it is. There's borrowing, and there's stealing. Until a song lifts entire phrases does it really become plagiarism. Think of the Chiffons' "He's So Fine" and George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" the chords, melody and the backup vocal 'response' are the same. THAT is the same song- that equals plagiarism. However, Picasso once said "Good artists borrow- great artists steal." :D
  10. from the 1700's onwards, classic music has nailed most melody lines so what do you do.......
  11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Cold Hard Bitch is cool, very AC/DCesque.
  12. You oversea's guys should have a listen to some early 'regurgitator' another good Aussie band, Better than 'jet' in my eyes, but I guess thats a different thread? ;)
  13. `ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne band TISM were interview in The Age newspaper and i think they said it best.
    (rough quote) "Journo's and people in the media dont have any problem about laying into us and telling us exactly how they feel about our music, but why dont people have that same honesty towards Jet? Their music is average and the lyrics may as well not even be there, and yet everyone continues to rave about them"... Ron Hilter Barassi
    Im trying to find the article now.
  14. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I picked up "Get Born" a few weeks ago. I like it. It is derivative but who cares. My band is covering "CHB" and "go my way". Fun songs. People really respond to them.
  15. I could have sworn that was The Datsuns when I first heard it.
    still do....

and "are you gonna be my girl" rips off Iggy Pop's "lust for life"- even nicks the bass fills that Tony Sales played.

still, a fun band.
  16. I guess it's cool in the fact that they play 'ozzy' songs overseas. very surprized they know who "jet" is !!!!! no disrespect to the overseas people....... just don't know the coverage our bands are gettting oversea's. ;) but, powderfinger and regurgitator are WAY bettter bands.
  17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

JET are fun and rockin'. That's Rock 'n' Roll".

If you want to draw comparisons, you could say "Blue Collar" by BTO is a Santana derivative.

But skip it and play whatcha want.
  18. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I said, are you gonna be mah girl?

If we're going to not like bands because they have major influences, why do we like *insert name of any band you care to think of here* ?
  19. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    If I like a band's music, I buy it. If I don't like the music of a band, I don't buy it. I don't worry about whether it's original, or if the artist has "integrity". People are way too critical about the music they listen to. I'm tired of listening to people whine about Metallica "selling out". Hey, just because you bought Kill 'Em All doesn't mean that they owe you something with ReLoad or Saint Anger, so just get over it. Sorry, I get off on these personal identification rants. :D

My band covers CHB and people seem to dig it.
  20. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Does this post mean that I'm not the only one that's noticed the great similarity between Bowie's 'Moonage Daydream' and 'Hotel California?'