Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Paul A, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Just bought "Get Born" by "Jet".
    I reckon this is the best album I've heard in a long time!
    Some early "Who" and "Stones" influences going on there.
    Don't know much about them but I think they are Australian.
    Anyone else bought/heard it?
  2. I heard a few tracks. Not too shabby. They do have some cool oldies influences.
  3. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Like the Rolling Stones, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, etc...
    all had on their first albums.
  4. this is where i see music heading and im not too impressed either, its pretty much nothing the stones havent done, they're even goin the hairstyle and clothes, but what really ticks me off is that when i was still in school, not that long ago, i was ridiculed, yes i know, for listening to led zep and the stones and most of my jazz collection because it was old, then all of a sudden bands like jet emerge and they're starting to listen to the rolling stones.....ahh pop music, where would we be without it, besides in heaven :p :smug:
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I thought this thread was going to be about the Wings song "Jet". Great tune, horrendously awful lyrics.
  6. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    I've seen a Jet video.Wasn't too bad.

Although my favourite bands these days are The Darkness and Audioslave. :bassist: .
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    They remind me of the black crowes for some reason. They seem OK. I certainly wouldn't capitalize their name and put an exclaimation point after it.
  8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I will stick to listening to their influences, I like them better than Jet.
  9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I thought that's how they spelled it.
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Then I guess that's just me rebelling against the band and forced capitalization.
  11. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Snobby musicians around here.
    You'd think they would be happy to have a real band become
    popular in the midst the piles of dung on the airwaves today.

Maybe if enough bands become really popular;
    Britney, Pink, and their ilk will be squeezed out.

If they play their own instruments, and write their own songs,
    they are already way ahead of most popular acts, and we
    as musicians should support and stop being stuck up posers.
  12. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Pot -> kettle
  13. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I liked 'em better when they were still called "The Hives".

(joking, people!)
  14. Jet = Rolling Stones wanna be's

still, i dont see why they're so popular, stones songs re-visited
    they're even trying to dress like them people, comon, they're have been better bands to come out of australia, DIG (Directions In Groove) from Sydney for starters, Spy Vs Spy, ACDC Etc Etc
  15. MrPrashant

Dec 13, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers
    I actually used to do some work for Elektra Records, and have met and chilled with Jet on more than one occasion.

THey aren't trying to be anyone, in fact, they only have one real mission---

to get bands like Creed and Blink-182 and all that stuff out of the mainstream "Rock" scene.

They are actually very laid back and good guys, who just enjoy playing together. They aren't going to break any barriers, but it is nice to see some old school rock and roll making it back into the main stream.

If anyone doubts their ability, I suggest you listen to "Look What You've Done" off the album, it screams of the Beatles, but in a good way.

But yes, I can certainly see where people can get upset, it all has to do with the biggest evil in the music world today..

16. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Ummm...have you been living in a cave for the last 20 years?

When did popular music start having to make sense?
  17. Havent been around for that long :p , only 18, but still they are bringing back what ive listened to my whole life, but why isnt anyone bringing back disco, or old school RnB or Funk, Parliament style Funk, no Cheap Imitators
  18. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Because the record companies and mainstream radio don't think that it popular.
  19. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Of the 2 songs I've heard:-

"Are you gonna be my girl" = cross between "rock around the clock" and "My Generation".

"Roll over DJ" = "Taking care of business".

This new music is over 30 years old. Plus I saw them live at Homebake in Dec of 2002 and they sounded very, very ordinary.
  20. "Cold Hard Bitch" reminds me of an AC/DC song with subpar vocals. Just my opinion. I'll take Jet over boybands and fake divas anyday.