Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jethro Tull

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Ulyanov, Jun 24, 2001.

1. I'm listening to Bouree, by Jethro Tull, this is so cool. I've never heard Jethro Tull discussed around here though, am I the only fan here? Also, does anyone else know who originally wrote the song? I think it's classical, but I suppose it could be their own.

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    While Ian Anderson is credited with much of the writing on the original songs, it's been suggested that he "borrowed" from the classics on occasion.

3. J S Bach certainly wrote it . I think it's a bouree from one of the lute suites. If you look on the "Stand Up - Jethro Tull" record, you will find that the credits are to Ian Anderson, which is definitely wrong. The one person here who will know for certain is Dave Grossman (with the cool JSB avatar) - c'mon Dave, where are you?

- Wil

4. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I just started listening to Jethro Tull just recently, and thank god i did, because they have some great tunes, and I love their style.

5. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    to anyone interested in getting into Jethro Tull: tread carefully! Tull's output is a little..uh..uneven. I would suggest getting "The Broadsword and the Beast" and "Heavy Horses" (assuming they're not out of print--all my Tull is on vinyl), but avoid "Warchild" and "A Passion Play". (not to mention "Under Wraps"!)

I know, I know, I left out "Aqualung" and "Thick as a Brick". that's because "Aqualung" is a given, and (shocker) I've never heard "TaaB".

6. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    As long as we're doling out recommendations, I'd also suggest Benefit.

7. The Roots to Branches CD is awesome!! Some really kewl fretless stuff from (Bass Extremes) Steve Bailey

8. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????

"A Passion Play" is brilliant....probably their best and most progressive work. "Warchild" is great also.
    "Thick As A Brick" is up their too.

My .02 cents.

OCCarl

9. I meant up "there"....not their.

Being a Virgo is hard sometimes....

OCCarl

10. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i like em all.

Farm on a Freeway is a killer tune!

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Anybody remember when this album beat out Metallica's for Heavy Metal Album of the Year?

I agree...Jethro Tull is really full of amazing musicians and compositions! It's a shame that JT (not you, John Turner:()doesn't get more recognition anymore.

Bouree, BTW, is definitely a Bach melody, incorporated into a "rock" band.

12. MMMM....going to have to break down and purchase some JT on cd I think.I have all the old LPs,hidden away somewhere.

They were very big when I was in highschool(`76-`80).Great band who did their thing and did`nt bow down to anybody.

Aqualung,Heavy Horses,Songs from the Wood,PassionPlay ...some of their best work!

13. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    If you like classic Tull there is a CD available called "Jethro Tull the Original Masters", it's a great compilation of their early stuff.

I had the good fortune to see Ian and the boys just a couple of years ago. It was a wonderful show. They played some of their new stuff from the 80's & 90's :), as well as the classics. He still has his stuff together.