Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jewel's bass player dead

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by nashvillebill, Sep 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just saw a crawler on CNN saying that Jewell had cancelled her tour because her BP had just died from a stroke.

Don't know who he was, I'm not a big Jewell fan, but RIP.

And credit to Jewel for showing enough respect to cancel the tour, rather than trying to continue with a sub...like some other well-known band last summer....

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That sucks, i dont really know anything about him either , but anytime a bassist dies, it sucks. But yea its coo that she values the bassist enough to not just replace him. Shows they actually had some type of connection or something.

3. hmm, yes, does make you think.
    or maybe Pino wasn't available this time....

4. I don't know If she had had the same bassist along the years, but maybe it's Craig Young who we´re talking about.

I'm not a big Jewel fan but like the album "pieces of you".. And kind of dug something I heard or saw on tv of her new pop star like stuff..

Anyway RIP

5. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    His name was Terome "T-Bone" Hannon.

RIP.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    RIP T-Bone :(

He was the first of this last wave of 3. I think the folks at the Musician Magazine's forum were setting something up.

[edit] here is the link to the thread
    [/edit]

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I agree that it's sad that he's dead. But, don't use this as an excuse to bash the Who. Anything that large is a business with vast business interests. I personally think JE would have wanted them to continue on the tour.

And, for the record, Jewel is still going on a solo acoustic tour of 20 cities. In fact, she'll be here in Atlanta in a week.

8. Viktor

Viktor

Jun 21, 2003
    Split,Croatia
    R.I.P T-Bone.....

Man is it just me or do only bass players die????

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    If I played bass for Jewel I think I'd fake my own death to get out of it...

10. No you could get some back stage action if you played your cards, and bass right;) :smug:

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    How about a little respect here guys!?!

A fellow bassist has fallen. Please grow up some.

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's a real shame that this guy died.

that being said, it's ridiculous to slam on the who for continuing on a tour that all of them paid _a LOT_ of money to book, including entwistle's estate. furthermore, entwistle was playing poker with the devil and lost - i don't see why the rest of the band should pay millions in honor of the guy who screwed up, and knew the consequences from his own past experience.

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    If you can catch a PBS re-run of Jewel on Austin City Limits...do it.
    On the final tune of the show, "Save Your Soul"(?), she goes off like the 2nd coming of Janis Joplin.
    Jewel's no MTV-poseur...

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    RIP.

Wow. That's rough. The Who didn't even skip a beat. They got a replacement & played like nothing happened.

I'm sure Roger & Pete weren't in their HotelRooms knitting.

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    we don't know whether the who skipped a beat or not. we do know that all of them had invested millions into making this tour happen. we also know that entwistle didn't die in a tragic accident, he was carousing with a showgirl on cocaine, and he was well aware of the potential consequences of his actions. i have a hard time having any sympathy for someone who willingly plays russian roulette and loses, especially someone like him who intimately knew the consequences, not only to himself, but to those around him. considering he lost a band member to similar activities and suffered through the aftermath, i would've thought he would've been more responsible for himself.

sorry if that seems rough - he was as big a bass hero to me as anybody, but i'm not going to advocate that his band suffer a financial burden for his own negligence and idiocy.

16. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Go JT!

17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It's all rock & roll. I'm sure they Roger & Pete knew he wasen't clean. I'll bet that they're not clean either... but that's another story.

They didn't postpone 1 fricken show. I'm not really sure how much money is involved with rescheduling a week worth of show but I'm sure that have enough to cover the bill with their pocket change. Their bassist died. A member of their family passed away. I'm sorry but money isn't more important than that, to me.

I just think it was truly disrespectful & I'll NEVER go see the Who again.

18. Chris Squire

Chris Squire

Sep 10, 2003
    Oak Grove Mo
    Uh:smug: ....if your were Jewels bass player, you would be making a dam good living playing bass, most of us would give our left nut to be on tour with a national act, and syanding behind a foine looking woman to boot:bassist: :D

19. what about their plans to record another album as The Who?

touring commitments, maybe, but an album?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.