Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jewels Bass Player?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Aug 23, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I was listening to foolish games by jewel the other night, and the bass line was pretty damn impressive!

Does anyone have any idea on who he is and what he plays?

Cheers!

2. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Not sure for sure, but yeah, I too find Jewels bass grooves impressive.. probasbly just do a quick search on Yahoo or whatever to find out who he or she is, but maybe someone here can give better info (hence the reason you asked here and didnt just do a search opn Yahoo!)..

Flea played a song with her on Letterman, "You were meant for me" I think...

I like Jewel :)

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Saw Jewel on a PBS show(Austin City Limits) a couple years back...she was like the 2nd coming of Janis Joplin. She can blow!

Anyway, the bassist was Tony Hall; flip open the latest Bass Player mag to pg. 73...it's a Spector ad with Hall in the centre(apparently, he's also gigged with The Neville Brothers).

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I caught Jewel on Carson Daly a few nights ago. While she was playing her new single which had more of an R&B vibe rather than her early folk stuff, the bassist totally smoked. Had an excellent tone also.

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Are we talking about Mike Jewels here? :D

Sorry, but due to the distinct lack of an apostrophe throughout this thread, I couldn't resist :D

6. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    moley, that made no sence at all... not funny either (no offence.)

7. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.

Yeah, he sounds good, that what got my attention first :D

I just noticed him in the spector ad. Thanks!

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    It was a poke at the bad grammar - it should be "Jewel's bass player" not "Jewels bass player".

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Tony Hall also played extensively with Harry Connick, Jr.'s funk band through the mid to late 90s. Prior to a Connick concert in Hollywood, I saw Hall at a local restaurant and approached him. It's not often that bassists of his nature are recognized, so I hope he enjoyed the celebrity. Very very nice guy, very approachable. He also sang a tune on Harry's "Star Turtle" album, and did vocals when Connick's band did "Thank U (Falletin Me B Mice Elf Agin)."

His work with The Neville Brothers is amazing.

10. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Was he on any albums or did he just play live?

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    He was the sole (soul!:D ) bassist on Connick's "Star Turtle" album, and he does the lead vocals on the tune Mind on the Matter on said album. He shared bass duties on "She" with George Porter, Jr.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Told ya before-
    We need subtitles!

:)