Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mind Eroded, Feb 26, 2005.

1. has anyone seen this game? you reinact the shots supposedly fired by Lee Harvey Oswald from the 6th floor book depository. I think its no big deal and the huge uproar about this game is ridiculous. any thoughts?

P.S. I do believe in the Lone Gunman Theory
  2. pentexlovesme

Mar 28, 2004
    I've heard of the game, and the main thing that bothers me about it is how damn boring it sounds! From all I've read, the entire game is just trying to kill JFK...I don't know, personally, I would never spend any money on something like that, but that's just me. As for the whole uproar over it...I wasn't alive when JFK was shot, so all I have to experience it are the news reels, televison shows, etc. but for some one that actually remembers it happening, I imagine they might find it a wee bit insensitive. :meh:
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Well, for some level of perspective, I would just guess, that in twenty years from now, they'll be a game where you have to navigate two commercial jets into two New York skyscrapers. Who am I kidding, that'll probably be down in 2 years, not twenty.
  4. I think as long as there are games depicting the most horrendous events of the 20th century such as the countless ww2 and vietnam shooters,a game about the assasination of a sleazy politician shouldent cause so much controversy.
  5. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Yea, this will probably show up in the next installment of the 'Grand Theft Auto' series. I remember everyone was upset that GTA:Vice City's release wasn't delayed because it came out about a month after the DC area sniper killings and the game happened to have 'sniper mode' built into it.
  6. Do you think they should have? For any reason?
  7. He may have been a sleazy politician, but he was our sleazy politician!

But aye, I agree, I don't think the game warrants the amount of controversy it's been receiving. At least, not in comparison with other, IMO, worse games.
  8. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    No. It was unfortunate timing but I certainly wouldn't want us to become so PC that we alter a release schedule that was planned months/years in advance due to eal-world events a month befor its release.
  9. why do we need a video game for assassinating JFK?
    how is that going to be a fun game?
    that brings an interesting question...
    should the video game industry try to cash in on as many tragidies as they can? should they make a columbia shuttle simulator? or maybe some game that time you to see how many jews you can kill in a certain time limit. where is the line to be drawn?
    is there a line? should there be one?
  10. the point of the game according to the website is to prove that the lone gunman theory is credible. infact they call it a "simulation" so that you can see for yourself that supposedly Lee Harvey Oswald could of got off those shots at that angle and elevation, proving that there was no "magic bullet" as all of those conspiracy speculations suggest. I dont think its in bad taste. Theres a grand prize of up to 100,000(i think) to whoever can most closely recreate Oswald's actual shot pattern as an incenstive to keep playing. I guess that sounds fun to me, since i have been intriqued about the assasination for several years, does that mean im going to hell or something?
  11. I think part of the issue is that this is a person who actually lived. There are still people around who knew him. He was a "hero" to a lot of people. His assasination traumatized the nation.

It's one thing to be an anonymous fictional character making splatters of anonymous fictional characters. It's another thing to re-enact a real person's real murder. I wouldn't like it if someone made a video game being the driver that ran into my Grandfather's car. Aside from being a boring video game, it would be tasteless and it would hurt my family and myself.

Yes, I realize that Kennedy was (and is) a public figure, there is a point to where a line should be drawn. Times have changed, though. Where a high school student of the time remembers exactly where they were when they heard Kennedy was shot, I just remember the best joke about the Challenger blowing up (how many astronauts can you fit into a Toyota...).
  12. I understand what you are saying, and I agree. However, do you think a video game is so much worse than a movie depicting the same situation? It seems to me that video games attract a lot more scrutiny than movies do. To say that video games are more realistic than movies is erroneous IMO. Sure video games allow you to 'be in the situation' but movies are far slicker looking, and I believe have the power to draw people in more than games do, in part to the fact that we can go and watch them in 12 point surround sound on a 75 foot screen. And yet movies seem to attract less attention and critisism than video games do.

To be honest, I think this is the result of scapegoating video games after the columbine high incident and subsequent schools shootings. What do you think?
  13. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    did we have this threat before?

graphics looks crappy... sounds very boring... rather play deer hunting 2005... (hunting > all)