1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

jgsbass: RIP (Jerry Solomon)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Nov 17, 2010.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I received this PM from Jerry Solomon's daughter. Jgs & I have been PM'ing each other about our treatments and stuff for a bit now. Knew him? Hardly.

It sucks when cancer wins. We go on, many with manageable conditions...hoping everyone can pull off a squeaker and live another day.

2. I only knew Jerry through one deal, but RIP all the same.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    OMG!!! I was just thinking about him the other day... I was packing/cleaning and I found the CD he'd given me at one of the NYC GTGs.

RIP Jerry :(

4. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    That's very sad news.:( I didn't know Jerry, but I was at the International GTG last year in Long Island when he won the raffle for a bass (I believe it was a Valenti). Hard to believe cancer has taken him away so quickly. RIP, Jerry.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    RIP man! He seemed like a very down-to-earth guy and a helpful contributor here.

6. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    JGS, RIP!

I'll miss his posts & banter on TB...

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    RIP, I'm always sad to hear of a TB'er dying.:(

8. RIP brother.:(

9. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    RIP Jerry. :(

10. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    RIP.

11. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    Prayers guys.

I don't know Jerry either, but I'd bet he'd smile knowing foks are talking about him.

R.I.P. Brother.;)

God Bless, Ray

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Like most folks, I had no idea what this abstract thing cancer was until I was thrust into its maelstrom a year ago.

When Jerry first PM'd me and we began discussing things, I knew he was weak and probably not playing much...but he encouraged me (along with many others here...Thank You all!) to go for all I could.

It's a testament to all of you here that even though we don't really know each other that there's still quite a community here of folks that have a few things in common: the beauty of music, GAS and tone. Through all of that, we also see how it's all related to life and the things we have to deal with.

Music has been an incredibly powerful and helpful antidote to the battle I am fighting. I have wanted nothing more than to get back out there, providing the opportunity was the right one. Even after being so callously dumped by my former band at the last minute, it only motivated me get stronger and to persevere.

I am going to my 3rd audition on Friday night...hopefully this band can herd their cats. I suffer nagging stiffness and pain, but it disappears when I can move about such as playing live. If I am in pain, I'll hide it. Mostly cancer patients battle fatigue, so rest and exercise is important.

We have this one common thing going for us; making music and playing it with an increasing degree of commitment to its growth and a respect for the artists that motivate us to play more & practice with greater intensity...oh yeah...and squeeze that love into precious moments in days when there's a hell of a lot of other stuff that has to be tended to.

Playing music, an intense and enjoyable thing, is a luxury to many of us that have to work first at other trades to buy the time to pursue those pleasures.

By all means, at a sad moment like this, don't forget your humor. As ridiculous as some of the OT threads can seem, they have their funny and laughable qualities too. Yes we're serious about our craft, but laughin' at stuff is so important.

It's gotten us this far, this love will keep us going. :bassist:

Sorry for the long post: steroids had me thinkin' all night.

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I didn't really know jgs, however, it's always sad to lose a brother.

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    RIP. We met at multiple GTG and he was a VERY cool guy. :(

15. I didnt know him as i am reletivly new here but from the sounds of it he was an amazing person.

RIP :(

"You'll never walk alone"

16. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    RIP, brother.

my condolences to his family. it is great that they knew to find us and let us know.

17. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I've been keeping track of your status/progress from the sidelines, and rooting for you. I really admire the fact that you have a great sense of humor, and despite what you're battling, you're a positive upbeat guy. I really enjoy your posts. I just wanted to verbally commend you for the inspiration you provide me as well as others here. :)

I've bantered with jgsbass on a few occasions and I found him to be a good guy. Sad to see him go. RIP. I hope his family finds peace with his passing. :(

18. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    :( I never met him in person, but could tell he was a nice guy through his participation here. RIP and my condolences to his family and friends.

My family has been going through this cancer stuff for so long, with one relative and then another. I don't have anything deep to say, I just wish it could stop.

Keep fighting P. Aaron.

19. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    I can't say I knew him personally, but it seems he was a good guy. Always sad to hear of a death in the community. RIP, brother.

20. Don't know the guy, but it always a sad day in Bassland when we lose a brother. RIP Jerry.