1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

JHS low drive overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rocker47, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Hello! I have an opportunity to get one of these pedals and was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about it. It's a long drive to get to it so I was hoping to have some info before I make up my mind. I was possibly going to trade my Fulltone bass drive(MOSFET) for it as I have lost the love for it. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. it is pretty flexible and can go from mild to aggressive distortion. I just found it cut the low end too much. it will get dirtier than the Fulltone but i think the fulltone has better low end retention. I always found that the bottom end really dropped out with the JHS, more so than the Fulltone, and it was noticable in a band context.

3. Awesome thanks. I have found that the bottom end is lost with my Fulltone as well. It's really only got a couple decent settings and the rest are meh. I see they have discontinued making the bass drive. Might be some reason behind that. I'm gonna hunt down a Swollen Pickle( just sounds wrong ) and listen to it. I have read some good things here about it. Thanks again!

4. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I'm not a fan of the brand.

5. I bought the Fulltone after trying it at the local music store and having been told it was the best. Are there any that you would recommend?

6. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Overdrive is an odd thing on bass, I personally fall in and out of love with specific pedals all the time. It really depends on your ear, and the surrounding equipment (amp/bass).

That said, research on any/all of the following might lead you in an interesting direction.
    • Dredgetone Angler
    • Mad Professor Blueberry Bass Overdrive
    • catalinbread SFT
    • Darkglass B3K
    • Wounded Paw Black Sheep
    • Tech 21 VT Bass

7. Thanks again for your time. I will definitely check these pedals out on the web. I agree with you on the fact that it really depends on a few factors. Those being your bass, amp etc. Do you think the position of the fuzz pedal in the chain has much to do with sound or tone? Maybe that's my issue ? I now run through a boss tuner-boss chorus-fulltone- amp.

8. Flymo Wang

Flymo Wang

Jan 5, 2011
    Bristol, UK
    couldn't agree more, i have an angler and an xotic BB preamp, love them both at low gain for o/d settings, but depending on the bass i'm using/day of the week/alignment of the planets, i have different favourites...

i'd suggest considering the BB preamp too, if you don't mind the tone of the bassdrive, but want to be able to add more bass/tweak the EQ a bit more...

9. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    The only way to know that is to try it. If I recall correctly, most of the concern with putting dirt pedals first has to do with impedance issues, particularly in vintage fuzz pedals.

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Right--if you have a passive bass, and a fuzz that is "based on" one of the classic vintage designs, you will definitely want to have that fuzz first in your pedal chain. The high output impedance of the pickups, plus direct interaction between the pickups and the fuzz circuit, gives a warm smooth tone. Otherwise the low-impedance output of the other pedals, and the fact that they electronically isolate the fuzz circuit from the pickups, will make the fuzz sound harsh and spitty (though some people like that sound!). Same goes for the low-impedance output of an active bass. That's why you'll often see people in fuzz threads posting the question "how is it with an active bass".

11. Thank you that is really good info. I play mostly passive basses, but the odd time use one that's active. This gives me the tools now to experiment and actually have an idea of what and why. Thanks!