1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

JHS Russian Muff Reissue -- Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Being and Bass, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    My EHX Russian Re-issue Muff will never leave my board. The sounds are incredible and basically irreplaceable for my tone.

But the JHS "Moscow" mod has really peaked my interest and I was thinking about sending it in. Has anyone had a chance to see these mods in action, live? Shall I get to Putin' this pedal in the mail?

EHX Green Russian Pi "Moscow Mod"

2. Looks like a great way to ruin an awesome pedal.

3. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    I was worried about that as well (some JHS is gold, others not so much) but you can set it to cut out the added circuits if you hate it. At that point, you are only out a few dollars and have a pedal with a bunch of controls you never use.

4. Assuming they don't ruin your pedal when doing the mod. It's your money if you want to give it a shot but it isn't something I'd do. :D

Being and Bass likes this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sounds like you've made up your mind. I don't care for the side knob myself, but my band's guitarist has a lot of JHS-modded pedals and they all work fine.

Korladis likes this.
  6. zapped777

zapped777

Jul 6, 2011
    dOIT

7. Anemic_SluG

Anemic_SluG Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Washington
    I thought about it but went with the original. I needed a good fuzz tone. Not a bunch of fuzz tones. Just set it and forget it. So saved some cash because there is always the next pedal. Oh and the next and the next and the next......

zapped777 likes this.
  8. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Since the mods are essentially bypassed with the extra knob on 10 and the mode switch in the middle, you have nothing to lose if you don't find use of the extras.

9. Ugh, side knobs.

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I hate side knobs as well, but in this case there's not much can be done. It's not like JHS can change the main circuit board.

However I never understood why some pedals are designed to have side knobs from the get go.

Korladis and Fuzzbass like this.
  11. Right?

I think it would be preferable to add a knob to the top, but there might not be room inside. What does the knob on the side do?

12. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    I will fully admit that I was going to ask JHS if I could pay extra to have the knob or the switches (or both) on top...

13. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    There probably is isn't room to put the extras anywhere else. The knob and switches are in the area where the battery space is and the voids near the switch. Maybe they can do a smaller pot and locate it in the pedal..?

14. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Yeah I was curious about it until I saw what the mods were and was like, really? Lame IMO. The pedal already kicks butt. I do however think that the Alchemy Audio mids/bright mod is the way to go if you did want it modded.

Korladis likes this.
  15. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Major meh

16. Yeah, after a bit of reading, I'm kinda baffled. The clearly obvious mods to do on a muff are tone bypass and/or mid switch

gregmon79 likes this.
  17. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Well, I have a Moscow mod in hand. If the Green Russian sound is IT for you, then the mod seems like a poor choice. The mods take the pedal totally out of the Muff realm. I haven't had my Frazz Dazzler out in a while, but I feel certain there is lots of overlap in the tones of the Frazz Dazzler and the Moscow modes.

Personally, I really like the Moscow mod, a little bit more with passive pups. My first 30 minutes with it, solo, sent me to many varied places, that were sonically rewarding. Fine tweaks on the feedback pot yielded some amazing overtones and octave sounds, in various degrees of instability. Additionally, as has been well documented in this forum, the stock Reissue Green Russian sounds are wonderfully bass appropriate and muffy.

So, if side controls don't give you spasms, and like me, a Moscow mod happens to end up staring you in the face, at a good price, I would not hesitate to check it out.

Sometimes, the less obvious, is more interesting.

18. Seconded. You can run the thing completely stock with the flick of a switch and having gated, synthy and sort of broken sounds as an option in a similarly small footprint is really nice. I like my Moscow modded Muff.

19. estimated_eyes

estimated_eyes

May 12, 2013
    The only mod I would want for the Green Russian Reissue is a clean blend.

My recommendation is to pass