Jiggling the chord is bad!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Oddman545, Jul 28, 2001.

1. Hey,
    When I jiggle the chord on the output of my bass, it makes horrible noises coming out of the amp. I'm pretty sure it's not normal because when I stand up the thing does it too.
    I've fixed it before by taking the pickgaurd off and in the jack is was a little bent and the chord wouldn't touch the contact thing and when it did it made the noises. To fix it all I did was bend it back a little.
    Is there a way where it will permanently stay fixed?
    It's making me mad.
    For now all I do is take the chord and put in in between me and then to the front of my bass and then in that jack that seems to work but please help!

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    You'll want to do the fix again, and bend the center connector far enough, but not too far. Use long nose pliers and gently bend from the base of the jack. You may also want to either spray both jack and plug with Deoxit or some other connector cleaner, or just rub it with a pencil eraser.

Get into the habit of stringing the guitar cable over the lower strap button, from behind, between the strap and body, before you plug it into the bass, to help take the strain off the connection.

If the jack is a cheapie, or has simply lost its spring, a replacement may be in order at this time or in the future.
  3. I bet I know what's going on here and although Bob's suggestion is perfectly correct, there are 2 details that will make the fix work better.

First - After you rebend the contact, loosen the mounting nut and turn the jack in the hole so that the long contact prong is at 12:00 when the bass is in playing position. By doing this, the weight of the cable will always be pulling the plug end up and into the contact instead of away from the prong.

Second - Don't use a straight ¼" plug for instruments with face mounted jacks. Use a right angle plug and loop the cable over your strap button (between the strap and body) before plugging in. This makes a good strain relief in case the cable gets stepped on a shortened. It'll pull against the strap button not the jack itself.

Hope this helps
  4. 72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Dude, that's brilliant, I never would have thought of that. I had a recurring problem with the jack on my Yamaha until I wised up and started running the cord behind the strap, but with as many times as I've been inside that jack, I never even considered moving the contact arm to 12:00 to offset the tug from the weight of the cord. Great thinking, man!

5. Cool!
    I just took you guys' advice and tried that stuff and it worked. Thanks a lot!
  6. My apologies to Bob Gollihur!!!

I just reread your post Bob, and realize I duplicated your tip of the cable through the strap. I didn't mean to steal your thunder.

Come to think of it, I wonder what I may have missed (because of poor reading skills) last Friday when I signed about 100 papers purchasing a new house! :eek:
  7. All good suggestions but before i open my bass up, i check the lead too. Being a electronics tech head dry solder joints and even the wire breaking loose and just rubbing against it can cause it.

If it happens again, try changing lead ends, although sometimes (and i have seen it) both ends have a wire loose. easy to fix, whip out the soldering iron and go for it.

I make my own leads too, i find it A)cheaper and B) sometimes better quality because i am choosing the parts i can trust etc.

its so cheap $20 gets me 20 feet, where as a 20 ft cable goes for about $60 here.
  8. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Congrats on your new home. I'm in my third one; you get better at papers and choosing each time.

But it brings to mind the old adage, "You can always tell a homeower, because they're always coming out of a hardware store."
  9. LOL!
    I'll be coming out of the hardware store alright, but it'll be on a riding mower. My yard is about an acre and a half and most of it's grass!! But the best thing is that I'll be acquiring the space for a nice new 24' x 36' shop and perhaps a small studio.

Life is good...

10. Aww a ride on mower! Do ya need a liscence to ride one of them! hehehe they'd be soo cool.

a bright red one?

And you get a studio.... Lucky ducky.