1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jim Clench - April Wine

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Mar 31, 2006.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I don't know if many of you are familiar with these boys known as April Wine, but they've been around for a while. They rock! Quite possibly the greatest Canadian rock band (yes, possibly even better than rush). And their bassist, Jim Clench (although I think they had someone else in the early days, I don't know) is awesome! Man this guy can groove, and fill, and fit! Reminds me of Steve Harris. Begin by checking out two songs, Roller and Hot on the Wheels of Love for a good start to his amazing groove. He rocks! :bassist:

2. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    harder faster was like one of my first albums that i ever bought. it's on vinyl so i haven't listened to it for a long time, but the sound clips from amazon are bringing back some sweet memories!

they indeed rock, the singer is great.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'd just like to say, I'm probably the only person under 25 who knows who April Wine is.

4. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Hey! ;)

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Whoa... you're a little kid... I thought you were someone else...

... you're probably the only person under 25 who LIKES April Wine, if that helps. ;)

They're OK...

6. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Oh PUH-LEEEEEEZ!!!!!!
    (And I like April Wine) :eyebrow:

7. I must agree with PhatBasstard. I am a huge April Wine fan but to say that they are "Quite possibly the greatest Canadian rock band" is a huge stretch at best. But they are/were a great rock band.

I have seen them at least three times live and I loved every show. They were the first rock concert I ever saw way back sometime around 1980 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. They opened with Oooowhatttaanight.

8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

It's weird that I never bought any of their albums, but when I was in high school a friend lent me "The Nature Of The Beast" and I had it for some time. I had the opening riff from "All Over Town" in my head for a looong time (I'm singing it right now and feel very nostalgic, BTW). I really loved it. Besides, the name of Myles Goodwyn, the most prominent since he was the composer of most of the songs, sounded very cool to me.

9. Yeah April Wine Rocks I saw them 2 years ago at the Sherbrooke Festivale called La Fete Du Lac Des Nation. As a teen ager in the late 80's I saw Jerry Mercer play a few times with his own band at New World which is a rafting outfitter on the Rouge River. Great Drummer.
    But as much as April Wine rock Rush is the greatest canadian band of all time IMO. I have seen Rush 5 times and April Wine is not even in the same league.

10. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Sorry, you're wrong. I have scientific fact that proves April Wine's superiority over every other band from Canada.

:rolleyes:

This is what we call an opinion people. Please learn to respect it, otherwise it will bite you.

11. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Right.
    And that was my opinion on it.

Please try to keep up.:smug:

12. With all that being said, April Wine is still a great band with wonderful songs. I love their ballad Like a Lover, Like a Song. And I could never figure out why Slow Poke never made it to their Greatest Hits CD because that is an awesome song.

John