1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jim Fielder/BS&T

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jeffbrown, Jan 9, 2012.

1. OK, gang, I'm sitting here catching up on emails and such, nursing a Bloody Mary or 2,3 etc., and listening to BS&T's first, Child Is Father To The Man, and I hear track 4, "My Days Are Numbered." I am stunned. I have heard this track innumerable times, but s*&t. Jim Fielder, playing what can only be described as "lead" bass, just slays this thing.

I remember when this first came out. I played trumpet in a band back then and even then, I recognized what a monster this guy was.

Thanks, Mr. Fielder. I wish I could play like that. Wow. Just, wow. I'm going back to listen to the rest of the album.

G'night all.

2. Godfather

Godfather

Feb 4, 2001
    A true master playing playing on a great piece - bravo !

3. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Thanks for making me feel(old) it again, what a bass player Jim Fielder was , yes before Jaco. He was a straight up monster......The other one from those days I still like to listen to was Harvey Brooks for the Electric Flag....................BS&T lasted longer and really cooked....
    :).

4. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    That whole first album with Al Kooper at the helm is a bit of a lost classic. "I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know" is such a deep song.

5. FArfel

FArfel

Nov 23, 2011
    An outstanding player. I love his tone. He made that Jazz Bass sound so thick.

6. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i love jim and his playing with bs&t. that first and second record he just kills it, some of the extended jam stuff on the second record he really goes off.

unheralded bass hero for sure

7. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Killer, killer bassist! Dig him channelling the Motown/Jamerson thing on "You Made Me So Very Happy," on the second album. I saw that part transcribed in Bass Player several years ago, along with a cool, but short, interview, and realized how important Fielder's playing, along with some exposure to Motown, shaped my concept of "bass" when I was a kid trombonist. Turns out he was using a P-bass with fat flatwounds on that tune.

BS&T never achieved Chicago's fame and fortune, but there were several players in the ear;y band - Lew Soloff on trumpet, Fred Lipsius on alto sax, and Mr. Fielder - that could play circles around their Chicago counterparts. Regrettably, BS&T did not have a killer guitar soloist in those early line-ups, while Chicago featured Terry Kath. And at the end of the day, you have to credit Chicago with a better bunch of songwriters and a unified band concept, although I really can't listen to their stuff after the fifth album.

Meanwhile, a lot of fine jazz players cycled through BS&T. I understand that Mike Stern and Jaco were both with the band, at the same time, for a short while.

Anyhow, many thanks to Mr. Fielder -- he made us SO very happy, baby...

8. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    +1 more fan of the album and Jim (and I am old)! The second album - as classic as it was, and had more commercial appeal...couldn't/didn't have the magic of the first. FWIW: 'I Can't Quit Her' has and will remain a favorite from the masterpiece that jolted so many of us awake :bassist:

9. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Fielder was one of the guys that made me realize that bass could be a really important and interesting instrument when I was entering my teen years and playing guitar like everyone else. The Al Kooper record is my favorite.

10. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    NOW you guys are talkin bass players. Gotta agree with the guy above...bst's horns were better jazz players than Chicagos. Different bands....chicago was a hard rock band w horns bs&t more jazz.

But two of my favorite musicians were Terry Kath & James Pankow(t bone)...love that rock trombone

Chicago was a entirely different band after Terry Kath died.