Jim Hall & Dave Holland

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Wil Davis, Dec 2, 2004.

1. I've just got back from seeing Jim Hall & Dave Holland play at the Real Deal Jazz Club & Cafe (Cambridge Multicultural Arts Center) - They'll be there Friday and Saturday also. What a great show - fabulous sound! The way the bass and guitar blended together, but kept out of each other's way was masterful. The timing and pace was brilliant! Dave Holland has a tone to die for! Grab it if you can - it's certainly worth the price of admission!

- Wil

PS: There was no sign of the Bose system which I'd heard the last time I was at that venue (see threads passim…)
  2. Wil, i'm real curious as to the material these guys were using.
    Combination of both guys compositions with a few standards or what? Thanks.....
  3. From what I remember, they opened with "My Funny Valentine", in an interesting interpretation which hinted at the harmonies, and had snippets of the melody right from the start, but unless you knew the piece, I think the average listener would have been hard put to "name that tune".

They did a very impressive "Blues for C.M." (a piece which Dave Holland had written in memory of Charles Mingus).

There were other tunes which I can't put names to, but they ended with "Careful" by Jim Hall.

Everything they played sounded very good - there was a transparency and focus seldom heard in a live performance. The balance and the interplay between the two instruments was superb. I'd never seen either of them in a live performance before, and must say that I was very impressed. Dave Holland's sound was fabulous, and Jim Hall's playing was exquisite.

It's my understanding that they used different sets for each performance.

- Wil
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I was at the same show (both sets). Some of the other tunes they did:

All The Things You Are
    Bent Blues
    St. Thomas
    You Stepped Out Of A Dream

They did one or two others that Dave wrote but I am spacing on the titles.

It was actually a pick up gig!!! The club had a cancellation and Jim and Dave had a few days open that lined up perfectly.
  5. You are two lucky mothers! I would have loved to catch that one....two giants wingin' it!!!!!