Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jim Kale and Bill Wallace (The Guess Who)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Rob W, Dec 4, 2000.

1. With all the recent Guess Who reunion hype going on, I've started buying up all the old Guess Who albums. They were mostly recorded with Jim Kale on bass, who really had some great melodic parts like on "These Eyes", "Undun", "Laughing", etc. His tone is also one of my favourite types of tone - Fender P bass with flats (sometimes with a pick too!). Together with Randy Bachman, Burton Cummings and Garry Peterson, they really created some great classics.

These days, Jim has had a lot of personal problems so isn't involved in the current reunion, but instead they are using his original replacement, Bill Wallace who is also a great old school player. He didn't record too much with them since he only came in near the end of the band's original run, but I heard him play on the recent tour and he was great! They brought him out of musical retirement - he's been working as a school teacher - to go back out on the road.

I guess their new live album comes out this week that chronicles the reunion tour. That was certainly one of the best shows I've ever seen. They are the Canadian equivalent to the Beatles, so it was a great thrill to hear those legendary players in person!

I certainly grew up hearing lots of Guess Who songs on the radio so I'm sure I've been influenced heavily by those guys and have shaped my taste in bass tones and lines.

Anybody else out there appreciate Kale and Wallace?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Undun" remains one of my all-time favorite tunes. I still remember the 1st time I heard it...very early '70s, I was in a hoagie shop in South Philly with my cousin & the song was on the jukebox(it was the flipside to one of their hits). Very Jazzy in a Pop/Rock sorta way.
    "These Eyes" has a very well played & well conceived bass line. I like how melodic the bass is during the verses & how rhythmic the bass is during the choruses. Simple & tasteful to the max.
    ...very cool band.

3. that whole era was filled with tasty bass players.
    guess who, jefferson airplane, buffalo springfield, amboy dukes, blood sweat and tears, just to name a handful of the first ones to pop into my head :)