Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jim laabs' question

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by cabin dweller, Jan 7, 2005.

1. cabin dweller

cabin dweller Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Ridgeland, WI
    I've got a M1 on order at music123. Its been close to a month now,I'm startin' to have bass withdraws. But, music123 has bin good about e-mailing me and not leavin' me in the dark. They say its on back order from the Engelhart fartory. Any who, my question is... Has any of you fellow bass players been to Jim laabs' shop? Whats it like? I was thinkin' about going on a little road trip there and buying a adjustable bridge & a decent set of stings for the M1. I live not to far from Stevens Point, But would it be a wasted trip? Some of the past threads about him and his service arn't to good.

2. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    I am sorry, I am not familiar with the place you mentioned. I just wanted to say that whatever you have to do to get an adjustable bridge and decent strings, do it! It is well worth it. These are often some of the major differences between good and awful tone and playability. Best of luck!

3. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    I live about 45 minutes from the store and have been there several times. It's a discount music store, full of electric guitars, amps, drums, with a room full of pianos. Only a few upright basses, and all of them their own house brand. If you want to outfit your local teen-age R&R garage band, that's the place.

When I got my bass, I called them to ask about parts and services. I was told they stock only one brand of strings (I think it was helicores) and don't do their own set-up or repairs. Even if they CAN order an adjustable bridge for you, they'd have to send it out to be fitted and you'd have to make another trip to get it back. Then, if you aren't happy with the work, there's a middleman between you and the Luthier.

I guess things could have changed since I talked to them, but I'd suggest you call them yourself before you make the trip. You'd be better off finding a qualified Luthier you can deal with directly to set-up and care for your new instrument.

4. bleepo

bleepo

Feb 6, 2003
    Calgary
    how is the quality of their house brand bass?

5. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    I liked the way they look, and the one I tried sounded OK, but I can't say I've had enough experience with one to recommend it. I've been told they're made by the same Korean company that makes the lower-end Lemur instruments. Maybe someone else can help you more.

6. I've seen some posts indicating they arent "too bad" but often are poorly set up and have poor fit and finish.
    You might want to look around at some alternatives such as the "new American Standards" you'll find posts on here and Bob Gollihur's basses at urbbob.com.
    I only mention the above because I'm guessing your trying descern where the good values are vs. everything out there and I know how hard it is to get hard data on what's worth looking at and what's not. (I'm going through it with bows now.)

Do alot of thread searches here and some of the other net resources. (So far this site is the best I've found...)
    Good Luck,
    Dave

7. efhole

efhole

Nov 26, 2004
    I've never heard anything good about Music 123 either as far as customer service goes. The fact that an EM1 is on back-order just stiffles me. You can go to several places online and get one immediately. The M1's are in Englehardts daily production run. Why they would be on back-order is beyond me (unless you ordered a custom). I suggest you call the Engle factory and verify their story. If it turns out to be crap, cancel their order and go through Bob Gollihur. His service is primo. Good Luck

8. Cabin Dweller
    Save your gasoline and more importantly, your time regarding your trip to Jim Laabs. The single dealing that I had with them was totally unsatisfactory. The customer service (ha!) person was snide and condescending on the phone and I eventually told him that he could shove his bass case and his company up his jumper. Conversely, spend the extra bucks and buy a New Standard laminated Cleveland from Arnold Schnitzer if laminated is what you prefer. Arnold is what Laabs would like to be when they grow up. If Englehardt is your thing, Bob Gollihur your the man. I too bought a M-1 from him and his service and helpful attitude is just terrific. Additionally, Bob has a full line of goodies to go with your new bass. Just my experiences and two cents worth.
    Jim Henderson

9. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ

I bought a pa system and mic's, mic stands, and strings for my bass guitar and everything was awesome. Great price, had the whole order in less than a week and it was around Christmas time. My only dealing, but I must say I was very impressed. Later Joe

10. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I wasn't happy with my experiences with Music 123.

Given Bob G.'s outsanding reputation for all things bass, if I wanted to order an Englehard and didn't have a local dealer I trusted, I'd order though him. He can even arrange setup.

11. Although I would not buy an instrument or bow from them (or any other internet/mail order place), I've bought lots of accessories from them and have no regrets. I received my new AMT S25B mic from them 3 days after I ordered it - and the shipping was free.

12. cabin dweller

cabin dweller Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Ridgeland, WI
    Thank for the threads. I hope music123 comes through for me with not to much hassle. I sent them a money order for the M1, so that took alittle tyme to clear. I still might road trip to Jim Laabs' shop to check out & play some of there house basses for fun. There is no (blue grass) bassfiddle players around my area, so it will give me a chance pluck some differen't basses.

cabin dweller

13. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    Cabindweller, if you go there and play those Vienna Strings basses, please post you thoughts. ie. Munich, Hamburg. Thanks.

14. bleepo

bleepo

Feb 6, 2003
    Calgary
    I called, and the 1st thing troy laabs did was make fun of my accent. I'm sorry I don't sound like a hillbilly. :eyebrow:

15. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    Yah, hey dere, you betcha Wisconsin folk ain't got no accent. :rolleyes:

16. [Rant]

I live about 30 minutes away from Jim Laabs, and I've dealt with them quite a bit. They have stiffed me on multiple purchases, one which was my Fender Marcus Miller signature bass (or just a slab :p ) and that resulted in them not fixing it, and having to send it to Fender, TWICE.

I cannot speak for the quality of their double basses that they keep in stock, but I can speak on behalf of their customer service. There isn't any. They all have their heads so far up their butts, they would be able to notice a colon polyp far before a colonoscopy could. They are all jerks who enjoy shooting themselves in the foot with a cannon.

[/Rant]

17. bleepo

bleepo

Feb 6, 2003
    Calgary
    I'm sorry if I offended any of you hillbill... er WI. forumites... But lets get real. If you plan on doing sales that aren't local... :eyebrow:

I sound like someone from Seattle. I pay in Canadian dollars. But my money is as good as someone from Florida, if you're shipping. It just takes more of mine to get said product. Sadly, Their korean basses are one of 2 lefties i've found. (the ones at Bob Gollihur's are the others)

18. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    No offense taken here. With one parent from suburban Chicago and the other from Southern Appalachia, I've been both the D**m Yankee AND the Rebel Redneck, depending on where I lived at the time. Ignorance knows no geographic boundaries.

19. bleepo

bleepo

Feb 6, 2003
    Calgary
    No words have been more true. I must have said Eh, or aboot. :p

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Back on topic: if you're set on an Engelhardt, let me put in one more plug for Bob Gollihur (urbbob.com) - EVERYTHING I have is from him except my strings. I bought the bass first, with a stand, bow, quiver and rosin and the bow, quiver, rosin and stand shipped directly from Southern NJ and got here right away. Bob drop ships the basses directly from Engelhardt in Illinois unless you need him to arrange a setup (luckily I have a great luthier 20 minutes from here) and they shipped by a carrier... either Roadway or Yellow, I don't remember.

The trucking company screwed up bad, delayed the bass, and it wouldn't be here in time for Christmas (it was my Christmas present, the only thing I was getting) so I called Bob, he tracked it down, and told me what I could do, so I drove down to the hub where the bass was, picked it up, and Bob was a great help the whole way. He even yelled at Engelhardt for using a jerky carrier (they stopped moving my bass six days before Christmas -- talk about vacation time!)

Anyway, after being so pleased with everything I owned, I went back for a new bass bridge (which I had fitted locally) and later a pickup and preamp (K&K of course) and I've never been anything but satisfied. Gonna go back for a bow case very soon for my outstanding Gollihur bow too!